1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Yahoo & MS Outlook spam

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by megabyte, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. megabyte

megabyte Thread Starter

I have had a Yahoo UK email address for years and have been using it with MS Outlook 2000.

My husband always checks our email online with MyYahoo and I always use MS Outlook instead.

We have been extremely lucky for all of these years by not getting any spam, but for some reason we now have quite a lot ONLY in MS Outlook. If we check our email online through MyYahoo there is none, but if we immediately check email on Outlook, there is spam. We very rarely get spam online.

It seems that a lot of the time key words that I have used in my previous emails are being used in the spam email address, but not always. I am using McAfee Spamkiller and it is reducing it somewhat, but I was wondering if there was something else that I could do. Would uninstalling MS Outlook do it, or........what do you suggest?

2. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

3. megabyte

megabyte Thread Starter

Instead of blocking the spam, I was hoping to stop it. Since it is only on MS Outlook and not with yahoo online, isn't there some way of doing this?

4. redoak

It is possible that Yahoo is blocking the spam so you don't even know it exists. That happens forme, at least, with one of the available options. I can also have it put in my "Bulk" folder and then I can review it before deleting, just in case Yahoo's filter has incorrectly labeled something. That happened this morning on an important e-mail from a vendor I had contacted. Glad I was taking the seconds it takes to look at my "Bulk" folder!

So far as Outlook goes, I don't use it, so can't advise. Outlook Express, however, goes directly thru my ISP and the program I referenced will handle spam, at least that is my understanding.

You aren't going to keep spam from at least knowing you exist electronically, unless you change your address. And even then you will be found again, because one of your correspondents' address book has been compromised or by some other way.

{redoak}

5. megabyte

megabyte Thread Starter

Okay. Seems like I cannot do anything about it then.

Thanks for you help Redoak!
    Mega

6. redoak

You are welcome, for sure. I have received much help here and try to reciprocate when I can. Open your Thread, go to Thread Tools and close it by using "Solved." The moderators appreciate this cooperation.

{redoak}

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice