1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Yellowing Photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by ILuvmySailor, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ILuvmySailor

ILuvmySailor Thread Starter

When I print my pictures they come out great however down the road they seem to yellow. How can I prevent this. Is there a special kind of photo paper or substance or something to prevent this from happening?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Are you talking about printing with an inkjet printer? If so, most of the major printer manufacturers make claims about how their particular combination of inks and papers will give your archival quality prints that are fade resistant. This article suggests most of the claims are more marketing hype than fact ...

http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/bookarts/2005/07/msg00077.html

My $0.02 is that you may be better off burning the picture files onto a CD and taking it to your local Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Walgreen's, CVS Pharmacy, etc. They can make prints that will probably look better and last longer than anything you can make with a typical inkjet printer. Plus, if you start adding up the do-it-yourself costs of photo papers and ink cartridges, you may find that your prints may cost more to make than having them done at the store.

3. ILuvmySailor

My printer is a HP Office jet 6110 all in one. I have tried walmart a couple of times by downloading to there website and both times I have got my pictures the text that I have added had been partically cut off. Does anyone know why this happens with them? I need to take my pictures back over and ask them I guess.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    When you edit the pictures to add your text are you keeping the height to width ratio of the entire picture the same as for the final print? If you want a borderless print to be 6 inches wide and 4 inches high, you should make your edited photo 1-1/2 times wider than it is tall.

If you use any other ratio, Wal-marts software may scale your picture to eliminate any white space even it it means chopping some edges off of the original picture. They may offer an option of having the entire picture on the print with added white space as needed.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    What program are you printing them from ????
    I hope it's not HP Image Zone.

6. lister

lister

Don't use cheap inks & paper (acid-free is better), keep them out of the light as much as possible, and laminate to keep atmosphere out.

And of course, archive your images to CD (check the images on the CD before deleting the originals) or make 2 backups; also recopy them every few years or so - and keep the CDs out of the light.

7. slipe

slipe

Most consumer cameras that aren’t DSLR take photos in the same width to height ratio as your computer screen, which is 4:3. Standard 4 X 6 prints are in a 3:2 ratio and they have to trim some off the long side of a 4:3 image to print it without distortion. The photo shows how much they have to trim off your photo to get a 4 X 6 print.

[​IMG]

There are several ways you can keep your lettering from being cropped off. One way is to crop the images before you put the lettering on them. This is a very easy to use little free program: http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/ Don’t mess with the resolution if you use it.

Some cameras that normally take 4:3 photos can be set to take 3:2. Look in your manual or menu. You are just cropping the image in the camera and losing some pixels. But you can see how it will end up as a 4 X 6 in the LCD or viewfinder.

Many places will print 4 ½ X 6 for the same price as 4 X 6. It is a good deal and will not require anything to be cut off. The downside is that the photos won’t fit in many photo albums made for 4 X 6 prints.

You can keep your displayed prints from fading by using special UV blocking glass. All glass blocks some frequencies in the UV band and will help, but the special UV glass blocks more. I find it easier to just reprint it.

If your prints are yellowing without being exposed to light you are probably not using HP Premium Photo Paper. Or something isn’t right with the plastic in your album. There is other good premium photo paper and most of it doesn’t yellow. I’ve never had a print on Red River paper yellow and I used it back when I had a HP printer.

8. ILuvmySailor

Thanks everyone. Good info. I learned allot!!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538235

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice