1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: yet more Standby/Hibernate problems, this time with a twist

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by compushlep, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compushlep

compushlep Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a happy Toshiba lappy with WinXP Pro which uses Toshiba's Power Saver program flawlessly. Purchased a new HP All-in-One (PSC 1110) at a great price, installed software, AiO runs great.

But now I am unable to enter into Standby or Hibernate mode; get rebuffed totally by HP phone-in support; 10 e-mails and many "fix" tries I get nowhere with HP e-mail support, my last e-mail being rather terse.

Now I am almost certain that Toshiba's Power Saver doesn't like the HP PSC driver (latest available) thanks to 'playing' with Restore Points and a couple of re-installs of HP soft. But I wonder if the 'fixes' will work with the Windows Power Saver. HP was not aware I was running an alternate, I didn't twig either. Apparently if the HP soft is not running in the background the Windows Power Saver should function normally.

Finally the Questions:

1. Can I somehow disable Toshiba's in order to try Windows' Power Saver? How?
    2. Will Windows' take over or does it have to be activated if 1. is successful? How?
    3. Do I need to uninstall Toshiba's first to try Windows'?
    4. Is there anything else I should watch for/try ?

This will do for starters, I can provide more details if needed,
    thanks in advance.

(I may have to eat crow and go back to HP; don't want to deal with Toshiba's support unless I absolutely have to).

2. steve65

steve65

Another thing you may want to consider is uninstalling the HP software altogether and then reinstalling just the device drivers (Using add remove devices). HP makes pretty good printers, but I have found that their software often causes problems. Of course you won't get the hp address book and other addons but the devices should work fine using the windows interfaces.

Steve

3. compushlep

That's worth a try esp. since I'm not too crazy about the HP software that came with the printer.

Thanks Steve

4. compushlep

It works now!!

Windows Power Options took over when I un-installed Toshiba's Power Management program. At first I experienced the same problem where I could not enter Stan By/Hibernate.

BUT: when I hold CTRL and then click Stand By (from START/Turn Off Computer) it works O.K.
    also, holding Ctrl+Shift and then clicking Hibernate (from START/Turn Off Computer) works O.K too.

Closing the lid to Stand By or pushing the Power Button to Hibernate still does not work but I don't mind since I can achieve the same by clicking first.

Somehow I fluked it but this problem is RESOLVED !

PS. does anyone think I should inform HP? ... naah, that'd be like bragging ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218920

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice