1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Zipped File

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Cheyene, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cheyene

Cheyene Thread Starter

Hello, I am using Vista. I have a file which I downloaded from a web site. The correct amount of data was downloaded, 3GB. When I unzipped the file, it looks like I only have access to some of the files not all. I have (hopefully) attached a copy of the files. The only file I can open is the 'setup - Application'. Can someone please help me.

Attached Files:

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

The ones that look faded out are probably hidden files; do you have show hidden files turned on?

It looks like a standard installation program set to me. If you click on setup that should take you through the process of installing and it will access the other files and data in that set while installing. Is it not functioning as such? If not, what sort of error are you getting?

3. Cheyene

Cheyene Thread Starter

Thanks for replying How do turn on 'show hidden files'? I have clicked on all the files and the only one that will open is 'setup - Application' This downloads only some of the files that I need. I seeked the advice of technical that work for this site, they said I need to create a new user account as they thought my OS was unstable, or to reinstall Vista. All this is too scarry for me. any help would be appreciated.

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Changing the state of hidden files doesn't have anything to do with whatever problem you have, just wether the files are visible or not. I think someone is giving you bad advice about reinstalling but I don't know what the problem might be because everything looks normal to me. If you downloaded this from some P2P site then the author could have intentionally left out critical parts for the installation and the lesson there would be never to trust such sites and you are lucky if you didn't receive a virus as a result.

5. Cheyene

Cheyene Thread Starter

The site is not a bogus site. But thanks for your help.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What problem are you having? What you have there is a program. You install it by double-clicking on the setup.exe file. You don't need to be able to open the large CAB file. That gets read by the installation routine.

7. Cheyene

Cheyene Thread Starter

Thanks for everyones help. I went into computer programmes located the missing files and downloaded them that way.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757048

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice