1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Zone Alarm Installation Problems

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by 4dsmom, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

I recently posted about having a problem with Zone Alarm wanting to connect to the internet each time Windows ME loaded. I decided to solve my problem by removing 3.1.395 by using add & remove programs. I downloaded version 2.6.88.2 from oldversion.com. When I try to install it, I get this message. " VSDB.DLL file is linked to missing export VSUTIL.DLL. Default exception filter. C:\windows\system\zonelabs\vsmon.exe A device attached to system is not functioning. I checked and the first of these 2 above mentioned files are in a zonelabs folder in windows\system. The second is in windows system and windows temp folders. I tried moving the zonelab folder to the recycle bin and I still get same messages and it makes a new folder and leaves same files behind. I tried both the 2.6.88.2 and the 3.1.395 installations and the same thing happens with both. I did not do anything but remove program with add & remove. I touched nothing else. I emailed Zone Lab but the priority in getting answers go to their paying customers. I understand that, but I am puzzled. Any suggestions?

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

3. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

Thank you, I will try that. I am afraid to do anything to registry. Afraid I will mess it up, so will try to do these oyther recommended thing. Should I delete the zonelab folders? I have 1 in windows system that contains 5 files....html.tdr, vsdb.dll, vsmon.exe, VSMON.RPT, vsruledb.dll.
    thanks

4. Deke40

Deke40

If you don't do it exactly like ZA suggests you will have many problems. I used the uninstall I got with ZA and it took me a long time before I could even access the internet. You will keep getting a ZA window. Good Luck.

5. jbcalg

jbcalg

just follow the ZA instructions, even print them out to refer to - it explains what to remove/delete and where to find it

you're wise to be cautious around the registry, but as long as you make a backup of the registry (store it where you can find it easily) and be sure you have the correct keys, then it's not a big deal to make the changes

good luck

6. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

Dear jbcalg

Now I really did it. I was having some problems with Pc freezing up and decided to do a system restore. I took it back to when I still had Zone Alarm. I thought whoopee! I fixed it. Well.... it is back, but the interface for the control center is BLANK! The only thing on it is where it shows what programs are running. All the rest is blank. The icon on task bar is working, the connect window comes up when Windows starts, tells me Zone Alarm has loaded. But I can't get the menu and other information the control center once showed. I have the 3.1.395 install program. Would it hurt to run it over top? Oh when wil l I learn to leave well enough alone?????

7. jbcalg

jbcalg

you're asking someone who 'accidently' deleted a 20Gb partition on the weekend (thank goodness for the old hdd with W98 and partition magic still on it, found & restored it in no time) ;)

I don't do ME so i'm not sure why a system restore did not fully replace ZA

i'd probably go ahead and install on top, at least to see if you can get that version & restore point to work together

but you may still have to do a proper uninstall via the ZA method above to be sure it's working right

as always, make sure you have your data and 'i can't live without' files backed up
    - keeps the blood pressure down when strange things happen

8. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

I think I have it up and running again. I ran the install program on top of the "faulty" program, again and so far everything seems to be working as should be. Now if I can find out why this darn thing keeps crashing on me. One solved and now another one. LOL

Thanks for all the help.;)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice