1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) zone alarm

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Rat_Attack, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rat_Attack

Rat_Attack Thread Starter

Hi I am having problems with getting zonealarm to athorise the game counterstrike to access the net.
    Zone alarm has authorised all my other programs that access net with no problems just each time I try to run C/S the game and computer lock up and need rebooting to fix it (even Ctrl Alt Del doesnt work)
    If I turn zone alarm off C/S logs on every time, I tried to run it (game) in software mode also in windowed mode but still same thing happens.
    Any idea`s for my quandary?

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

This may or may not fix it and you may or may not want to do it. Try setting the security level to medium.

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I'm not completely familiar with Counterstrike but in ZoneAlarm under the Security tab, are "Block Local Servers" or "Block Internet Servers " selected? If so, you may want to try unselecting them and then try CS.

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Did you click on (Zone Alarm) programs tab & put check marks in all 5 places ?

Savvy :)

5. Rat_Attack

Hi guys

DoyceJ I even tryed it on low with same result..

Bryan I didnt check them boxes in the first place so they are still unchecked..

and SavvyLady I cant put the checks there because it hasnt added it to the list as computer crashes before zone alarm has asked me if I want to allow the program to have access to the net.
    So I still am stuck...

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I guess at this point, <a href=http://www.zonelabs.com/services/support_programs.htm#10program>this</a> may be worth reading. Is it possible that the ZA alert is not able to popup for you to reply because of Full Screen mode and it's causing it to lockup.

Hope that helps.

7. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Ok... I have to disable zone alarm sometimes. Its very frustrating .
    If I went to PalTalk even though I had everything checked ... I still would have to disable ZAPro as it prevented my mic from working.

Which version ZA do you have.. The pro was much worse about such things than is the freeware ZA.

I'd be more inclined to think it was the setup of the program you can't access. Are you not accepting cookies?

I got rid of ZAPro... I have the freeware now.

Another thought.... check your log files in ZA & see if it gives a reason

8. Ottomatic

Ottomatic

Rat_Attack
    I play Q2 and Q3 online all the time and have to allow them to connect and give them servers rights. This has to be done before starting an online session. If I don't, I just get a black screen from which there is no escape. CS is probably the same.

In ZA Programs, find CS and make sure everything has check marks to the right of it. This should allow you to play online.

EDIT: Ok, I see the problem is you have to have CS in the programs tab to start with. I've often wondered why there is not a feature to add a program instead of having to wait untill it tries to access to be added.

This is a problem.

I had to hard boot out the first time Q2 and Q3 tried to access, but they were in the programs tab after that and allowed me to change the settings.

9. Rat_Attack

Yeah Bryan I have already read through the help files and FAQ, I tried software mode and I already run in a window..

And SavvyLady I have the freeware version and I do accept cookies..you should see me cookie file its huge..checked the logs and all that was in there was all the blocked Internet access alerts...

And what exactly do you mean by hard boot Ottomatic? Do you mean "Ctrl Alt Del" or something else? Usually it wont start again that way, only once did I get it to start again and there was nothing in the programs tab.. I also have restarted by pressing the reset button under the main power button..same result nothing in programs still.

Looks like I may have to live with it or try another firewall..

10. Ottomatic

Ottomatic

By "hard boot", I mean the reset button or power down. Strange that it doesn't show up in ZA after a reset. That is the only way I could get Quake in it.

11. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

If you think its safe... why don't you try disabling ZA til you get the program launced, then relaunching ZA after that.... & see what happens.

12. TweakBoy

TweakBoy

hey savvy,

hows things?

<- got my pic sorted =]

when are we gonna see your pic?

13. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

You never saw my pic before?? Shame on you then, cause it was for a few months posted on my homepage. I can't post what I don't have on my pc.... its on the old one. ( I thought I sent you a fugly mugly of me a long time ago )

PS...... you knew I got a new system , right?

14. TweakBoy

TweakBoy

yeah i read your posts on the auction and things, congrats on that, treat it well and go easy on the desktop icons!!!

15. Rat_Attack

:D :D :D Would just like to thank everyone for thier suggestions..especially :D SavvyLady:D your idea of starting zone alarm after C/S worked..at last it is in program list:cool:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59550

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice