1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Zonealarm Firewall

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by SouthParkXP101, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SouthParkXP101

SouthParkXP101 Banned Thread Starter

Hi I receently had a friend reccomend zonealrm firewall over wndows firewall and i am having problems with it blocking some of my programs on my pc and im not sure how to allow exceptions

thanks in advance

southpark

2. raybro

raybro

When the notice pops up that a program is trying too access the web, you click either Allow or Deny. If you want that to be a permanent condition, check the Remember This Decision option before selecting.

OR>>>>

You can open the Zone Alarm Control Panel, click Program Control (left side of panel), then with a single click on the blue ? for any single program under the Access colmn, select Allow, Deny or Ask. As to what you should allow or deny... that's something each person must decide for themselves. Some are a given... like Internet Explorer and your AV program (for updates).

Here is a print of my ZA Control Panel to give you an idea.

Raybro

Attached Files:

3. SouthParkXP101

ya my za looks similar to that the thing that i cant to is get it to allow my pop3 server or host to allow my microsoft outlook mail to come in
    do you have any ideas what the pop3 server host would look like on the list

4. raybro

raybro

It will not show as a server or POP3. What is your e-mail client (program)? Outlook Express? Outlook? some third party e-mail client? It will be one of those. Mine is Outlook Express. Located slightly below the middle of the list in the thumbnail in my previous post

5. SouthParkXP101

yes it is outlook express

6. raybro

raybro

OK, is there a check mark, a red X or a blue ?

7. SouthParkXP101

green check

8. raybro

raybro

In both columns (Trusted/Internet) under Access? If so, then your problem is something other than granting program access rights to for e-mail client.

Raybro

9. SouthParkXP101

yea all green checks

10. raybro

raybro

So do you still have the same problem? Can you post a screen shot of it?

Raybro

11. pouj

pouj

Dear Raybro,

I looked at this thread because sometimes (2x a day?) I get repeated 'cannot connect to server...try again' responses on my Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.5 browser and I notice that the traffic on ZA shows a high column of red.

When I look inside ZA at the log, usually everything from the period that I've had the problem has been blocked. About 10 minutes ago, even my 'find more information request' was blocked. Also my instructions to move a blocked site to the trusted zone did not work. I have the free ZA version.6.5.722.000 (last update.)

Then I found this thread and your wonderful gif attachment. which raised questions about aspects of ZA that have never made sense to me. First, do you know what the the Server area is or what exactly it controls? I noticed that you have all ?s
    there except for the XXs for the program that you want to ban from any contact with the virtual world.

In my case WMP 10, which tries and fails to get information about functioning .mp3 files that I downloaded from a non-Microsoft source (the Library of Congress, speeches from President Taft, William Jennings Bryan, and William Gladstone from around 1900) and consequently renders them unplayable.

Have you ever used check marks there? The Help information says that this should never be necessary, but what problems would these permissions cause?
    Also which particular Server connection is meant by this section? ZA or the Program's server?

I connect via a 56kps modem and my ISP provider is quik (headquartered in Cal). Finally, I noticed that you use Free Download Manager. I got this yesterday, but don't quite understand how it will accelerate my normal downloads after reading all the instructions. If it is alright with you, I'll post my questionss about it in a separate thread on in this forum.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

pouj

12. raybro

raybro

Hello pouj... By all means do create a separate post for your questions. Questions from multiple posters in one thread tends to create more confusion than anything else. You will get much better responses and results that way.

Raybro

13. SouthParkXP101

ya ill make a screen shot

14. SouthParkXP101

umm for some reason it says invalid file when i go to uploead the jpg

15. SouthParkXP101

ya i tred it again i dont think it worked

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice