1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Some basic questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by centrino207, Nov 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. centrino207

centrino207 Thread Starter

Some basic computer questions here.

What is the difference of businesses laptop than non business laptop? If you go Dell web site or Lenovo so on they have section for home use and business. What is the difference between the two computer?

Do business computers have more RAM and hard drive space than home use? Can you buy business computer and use it for home use from say Dell, HP or Lenovo and so on.

Also what is difference when you see computer listed has open box vs refurbished computer? Can open box or refurbished computer be two or three years old? Reason why I ask I seen some Intel Core 2 Duo!!!! Yes Intel Core 2 Duo. This listed has refurbished computer.

Does this mean the computer it self is that old? The Intel Core 2 Duo where around before year 2010 so does that mean the computer is over 7 years old. If so why is it listed has refurbished? Or the computer been used for 7 years and now listed has refurbished.

2. draceplace

draceplace

Business/Home designations are basically marketing and your assumptions (RAM/Hard drive) are pretty much on track. There is nothing stopping you from using a 'business machine' at home. Refurbished computers are usually purchased (or lease returns) in lots from companies who budget scheduled replacements. These computers are then re-imaged (to remove previous settings,data, etc). Test are run to very components are healthy. Weak or bad components are replace.

My experience is when the manufacture offers the refurbished PC and backs it up with a warranty these are great deals if you don't need the latest and greatest CPU. Open box can mean different things (demo, returned by customer ) if warrantied, probably as safe purchase.

When shopping an important consideration is the software comes with the machine. Preloaded licensed Office can save you money. Make sure you can get a License key and its not a trail version.

3. centrino207

centrino207 Thread Starter

So computer can be used for 5 years or so than sent in than sent out as a refurbished PC?

Why are there still some Intel Core 2 Duo out there being sold as refurbished? I'm superised such old computer is still working today.

4. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    The Intel Core Duo or socket 775 chips were the flagship chips....ten years ago. They will not do much at all for you today. I would not purchase any Core Duo systems unless all you are wanting is to basically do Microsoft Word and light web surfing. Anything else and you're going to have speed issues.

I would go for a 2nd or 3rd gen Sandy/Ivy Bridge system and call it a day.

I have an i5-2320 right now and it's still super speedy for me. I can do many things at once and even play some games on it, even with the integrated GPU as well.

5. lynx1021

lynx1021

Like Andrew said if you can find 2nd or 3rd gen Sandy/Ivy Bridge system with at least 8GB ram you are doing good. I have 2 Core Duo systems that I built my self and they meet my needs , My wife uses the GA-P43T-ES3G, Modified Xeon Quad X5472 to fit 775 board to Play 1080 video, HD YouTube video, Email , etc. Since she stole mine after her Old dell SC430 motherboard died (since replaced) I built another with parts I had, got the board for $40 and Xeon for $20 GA-P45T-ES3G,Win7,Modified Xeon Quad E5472 @1600MHZ. I render videos, burn DVD's watch Videos in 1080 surf the net and email with no problem.

6. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    I paid , I think 125$ for the system I mentioned above with 8GB ram and a 250GB? Hard drive about a year ago off of Craigslist. It had already had an upgrade license from win7 to win10 as well. It has been a solid machine and pray it continues to be for a few more years atleast.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1198895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice