1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Some CD Players don't read MP3 files?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by WINME, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WINME

WINME Thread Starter

Not to sure about this issue. And I have no intentions of stepping on toes here.

After getting my PC together and running, the first thing I wanted to do was to burn off a couple of CD's. Before my last system went down I had copied my CD's that I had purchased on to my system (MP3 Files) so I can generate a play list of each individual song that I wanted to listen to with out having to deal with gobs of CD's just to listen to a few songs when I travel.

I am wanting to burn the "selected" songs on to CD's so that when I travel, I take only a fraction of the CD's with me that I have been taking in the past.

I tried doing it once and it came back as non readable when I tried to listen to it in my Sony Walkman. I don't know if there is a specific format that I have to make the files in order to make the songs readable for my Walkman. But I have two other CD players in my home that read the CD with no problem. :confused: Unfortunately they are not as portable as I would like them to be.

Also I don't know if doing something of this nature would fall under piracy or, I have no intentions of selling, distributing or making any profit, but if it does please let me know.

I contacted Admin. asking as to whether doing something of this nature would be considered piracy and they couldn't give me an answer.

2. jcrew

jcrew

sometimes some portable players can't read the cd if its burn in 24x speed. have u tried burnin' it on a lower speed like 12x speed. but im not a profesional. also . its always best to move those files from ur cd . to the harddrive before burning it to another cd.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Only a few CD players will play MP3s.
    Normal portable CD players will not do so, and if they do it will be clearly marked on them.

MP3 players require a dedicated processor to convert the MP3 file to audio, and most lower cost players are simply not equipped with one. DVD players usually work as they have a processor on board anyway.

Generally the cost is doubled for MP3 play on a prtable CD player.

If you use Nero, then create an Audio disk (not a data disk) and drag and drop the MP3 files. It should convert them to .cda or .wav, which play on normal CD players.

Also as mentioned above, some players will not work well if high speed burns have been done, and some players are fussy about CD-R type - not all will be recognised. CD-RW are often not recognised either.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Thanks WINME, I received your follow up PM and will follow the thread along.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If they're your CD's, I don't think there's any copyright issue. OTOH, as previously pointed out, you have to have a player that understands MP3's. I'd consider one of the players with the hard disk, that way you can have 10-20 gigabytes of music with you. [​IMG]

6. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

As johnwill said, you would be better off with an actual MP3 player for a portable unit.
    I have a home stereo that plays MP3 CDs. I bought it specifically for that, so I wouldn't have to change discs as often.
    For portable use an MP3 player is better.

7. WINME

WINME Thread Starter

I have a feeling that you hit the nail on the head. There is too much coincidence here cause both CD players that read the disc's with no trouble are MP3 capable. While the other two don't mention MP3 no where on them or in the manuals.

I tried to get both Nero and WMP (Windows Media Player) to copy and convert the MP3 files, but when they copy on to the disk neither were successful. Don't know if it is something I am doing or what. But I wouldn't doubt the human error factor one second. :)

After all this I have to agree, to the point that one is on order. The pros out weight the cons, by a over whelming margin. Between a MP3 player, and a CD player, when it comes to traveling.

8. eoJeoJ

eoJeoJ

There's no need to convert the MP3s manually, NERO will do that for you. When you first fire up NERO, it should ask you what kind of CD you want to burn (ex.Data CD, Audio CD, Mixed CD)...choose Audio CD. You'll notice that now, instead of displaying how much space in MBs is left on the CD on the bottom panel, its changed to Minutes, which is how Audio works since it disregards MBs. Now, all you have to do is drag & drop the actual MP3s into the playlist panel and hit record...NERO will automatically convert the MP3s into Audio...hope this helps! :)

9. Puritan

Puritan

Does anyone know of a list on the net that'll say which CD players read MP3s and which ones don't? (Specifically, I want to know if my Panasonic SL-SX510 will or won't...) Thanks!

10. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

This is a fairly new addition to hone stereo type CD players. The manufacturers use it a selling point. If the documentation from Panasonic doesn't say that it will play MP3s....it doesn't.

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice