1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Some displays are killing my eyes while other don't, please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Giuggia, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Giuggia

Giuggia Thread Starter

For starters: sorry aboyt my bad english, it's not my first language.
    I've never had much problems spending a long time in front of monitors and televisions, writing, reading, gaming, watching movies, and so on, I did that during my whole life. Sadly, now my old laptop is dying, so I needed a new one. I bought a new laptop (an ASUS Vivobook 14 S406UA, the version with the better monitor with 1920*1080 resolution) but using it was a pain: burning eyes, pain around the eyes, headache, and I felt sick.

I googled a lot, I mostly found people talking about flickers and PWM that can be hard on the eyes, so I returned the laptop and bought another one that a review website (https://www.notebookcheck.net/PWM-Ranking-Notebooks-Sma...) labels as flicker-free, the ASUS Zenbook 13 UX331UN. That gave me the same problems, so I thought that with time I could just get used to it, after 3 weeks the situation is preatty much the same and I feel constantly sick.

I thought I had problem with new led backlight monitors in general, while the old ccfl ones were ok for me, but I realized my old desktop monitor is also led backlight (At least that was I found out now googling for the spec, is an old Samsung BX2431) and I've spent hours everyday in front of it for years without any problems. That confused me and broke the premise that led backlight is, in general, the problem. So I really need your help to try to figure out what could be the feature that gives me problems in these monitors.

Displays that make me sick:
    ASUS Laptop UX331UN
    ASUS Laptop S406UA (the model with the 1920*1080 monitor)
    LG Television 42LM660S (I owned this for a while, it gave me those problem, but I don't spend much time in front of it)

Displays that don't give me any problem:
    ASUS Laptop X205T
    SAMSUNG Desktop Monitor BX2431
    Can you find a feature common amongst the ones that make me sick that is different from the one I'm ok with? That could help me find a laptop that doesn't kill my eyes.
    Thank you!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi, and welcome to TSG. Could it be your eyes are having problems viewing smaller pixels on the newer, higher pixel density screens?

Have you tried connecting the Samsung BX2431 to the ASUS Zenbook 13 UX331UN and using the BX2431 as the primary display instead of the laptop's screen? They both have the same native 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution, but the monitor screen is much larger.

AmateurJohn likes this.
  3. Giuggia

Giuggia Thread Starter

That's a very interesting idea... maybe I could just try lowering the resolution on the laptop to 1366 x 768 the same my older laptop has

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Lowering the display resolution from 1920 x 1080 to 1366 x 768 pixels may cause some visual issues. The actual display will still have its 1920 x 1366 hardware or native resolution. The operating system will be fractionally stretching the 1366 x 768 pixels to fit it. This could result in fuzzy pixels around the edges of objects and individual characters in blocks of text.

5. Giuggia

Giuggia Thread Starter

Oh, I got it, but what's the point of trying connecting the laptop to the BX2431? I already know that monitor doesn't give me any problem

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    The laptop's screen would be showing the exact same video as on the external monitor, with the same number of horizontal and vertical pixels. The individual pixels on the monitor would be physically larger than the laptop's pixels. The difference in this size could be the cause of the eyestrain. The test will also allow you to judge if any difference in brightness and contrast could be the cause.

Under ideal conditions and with an unchanging image being displayed, any differences in the refresh rates between the two displays should not matter. You could try experimenting with the external display's refresh rate being set to match the internal display's refresh rate (typically not over 60 Hz).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!