Some expert help please!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

resista

hi!
When trying to deny access to my d: drive, i didnt really understand the danger with playing around with CACLS and "acidentally" denied access to d: from alla user accounts. I cant access it woth any user - not even administrator. Help! I understan this is a hard one, but there must be some way to regain access to the drive. My life is on there!

One more thing; I have System Restore turned off, so that doesnt help me much.

/Screw-up

resista said:
hi!
When trying to deny access to my d: drive, i didnt really understand the danger with playing around with CACLS and "acidentally" denied access to d: from alla user accounts. I cant access it woth any user - not even administrator. Help! I understan this is a hard one, but there must be some way to regain access to the drive. My life is on there!

One more thing; I have System Restore turned off, so that doesnt help me much.

/Screw-up
Hi resista,

For information on using CACLS.exe look at:
CACLS.exe at: http://www.ss64.com/nt/cacls.html
N.B. Links at bottom of webpage

You can try this command to see if you can get access back from the Administrator account, but I do not know if it will work:

CACLS d:\ /E /T /C /G "Administrator":d

cacls.exe normally resides in c:\windows\system32 whereas
xcacls.exe is one of the support tools and would need to be downloaded from Microsoft with the Support Tools package for WinXP.

-- Tom

resista

Yeah, ive already been there, but this doesnt work. I just get an access_denied error. I dont think i can restore the access rights with cacls, but whats xcacls? Ill go check it out now. Man, this is getting really frustrating.

resista said:
nope... xcacls didnt do it for me either.
Hi resista,

If you can login at all as Administrator or with Admin priviledges to the C:\ drive, then checkout the webpage at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech for How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

While it may only work for files and folders, it is clear that ownership of the drive is part of the issue which only an Admin priviledge can acquire.

If it doesn't work, try contacting the MS community newsgroups starting at the Support website:
http://support.microsoft.com/ for help - I'm sure they will know how to reacquire the drive.

-- Tom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online