1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Some File Descriptions changing to BLUE???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gregsgirl60, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregsgirl60

gregsgirl60 Thread Starter

I am running Windows XP with a current version of McAfee Ant-Virus scan and Quick Clean Lite. I also have SpyBot and the Free Version of AVG. AVG found three Trojan Horses with an explanation to run AVG for Windows...which I did but I keep getting the same message. Is there another free program that will remove Trojan Horses? In the past few days I have noticed that some of my file descripitions are turning from black to blue and it all the way from My Documents to Program Files. Example: smiley.gif
    My CPU is running at around 100% so I know that something is definitely wrong. I don't relish the idea of having my hard drive re-formatted and losing everything but at the same time if something is infected on my pc, I am afraid to save songs and graphics to CD's and run the risk of re-infecting my pc. Can you please tell me how to resolve this problem...this is the only place I know of where I will get the right answers.
    Thank You
    Susan R. :confused:

2. Miz

Miz

Where does AVG say the trojan is located? If it refers to "System Volume Information," that's the System Restore files. Since you surely don't want to use a restore point with a trojan in it, delete them all by going to Control Panel>System>System Restore tab and turn off System Restore. That will delete all the restore points. Then turn it back on if you want it running.

Do a Google search for "trojan scan" for links to some free online scanners.

Then, if you haven't already, download, install, immediately update and then run Spybot and/or Ad-Aware. Read the help files to familiarize yourself with how they work. I recommend you use them both since each tends to find things the other misses. Let them clean up any spyware found.

Blue file names indicate files that have been compressed. If you've run Disk Cleanup, it compresses older, unused files.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!