Some files could not be defragmented?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Pressing_on

Hello everybody,

I appreciate the help I've been getting here, and I have found the search function to be useful. However, I've come up short on this one. Any help would be appreciated.

Whenever I defragment my hard drive, at the end it always says, "Some files on this volume could not be defragmented."

My question is whether or not this is normal? I'm new to XP pro, and I'm not sure if the entire drive should end up defragmented, or do some files always remain fragmented?

One other question, if I may? Every few minutes it sounds like my computer is taking a snapshot (like with a camera). What is the cause of this? Thanks very much for the help.

God Bless,
David

Pressing_on

Here is a copy of the analyzed drive right after I run defrag:

Volume (C:)
Volume size = 27.91 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 7.35 GB
Free space = 20.56 GB
Percent free space = 73 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 0 %
File fragmentation = 0 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 32,256
Average file size = 255 KB
Total fragmented files = 1
Total excess fragments = 16
Average fragments per file = 1.00

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 256 MB
Total fragments = 1

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 1,834
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 33 MB
MFT record count = 34,113
Percent MFT in use = 99 %
Total MFT fragments = 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
None

Thanks again for the help.

God Bless,
David

In reply to your first question:
You cannot defragment files that are in use.

In reply to your second question:
Re-installing your sound drivers may solve that.

Pressing_on

Originally posted by Mr_Webmaster:
In reply to your first question:
You cannot defragment files that are in use.
Can I get a little more information?

Is it possible to defrag all the files on my C-drive? If so, how do I make sure everything is shut down during defrag, or should I not worry about it? Thanks again.

God Bless,
David

First Name
Bryan
There's a good chance you will still have a file or two that can't be defragged but try running defrag from SafeMode. To boot into SafeMode do this ...

Restart Windows and keep pressing F8 during the bootup. You want to start tapping F8 after the drives are recognized on the screen but before the Windows splash screen appears. A startup menu will appear. Take the option for "SafeMode”. Once Windows starts in SafeMode run your defrag. When it's done, restart the PC and let it boot into Windows normally.

Let us know what happens.

MysticEyes

Banned
It's not worth worrying about. But from what you posted it appears that the drive is completely defragged.

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 0 %
File fragmentation = 0 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %
Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
None

Pressing_on

Thanks for the replys everybody.

I tried defraging in safe mode per you suggestion Bryan, but I still received the screen at the end which said some files could not be defragmented.

I never new about safe mode, so at least I learned something new:). Do most Windows XP users get the same message (some files could not be defragmented) at the end of defrag? Thanks.

I don't but Speed disk just labels the sectors in red, it doesn't pop up a window telling me that it couldn't defrag files.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online