1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Some Help With DSL ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by WELSHYx, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WELSHYx

WELSHYx Thread Starter

Hey guys i am currently on AOL Broadband using a Thompson Speedtouch ST585v Modem Router.. My main problem is that my DSL Shuts off at least once a day and the only way to solve it is to dial on my landline telephone.. thats the only thing that "re-activates" the DSL its quite frustrating to be browsing or gaming and it suddenly drops any ideas to maintain it ???

Thanks

Tom

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco NID (Network Interface Device). This is the place the telephone lines come into your home wiring, usually either in the basement or outside near the other utilitiy connections. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter. All of the DSL analog side wiring should be CAT3 or better twisted pair from the telco service entrance to the DSL/ADSL modem. You can use one of the twisted pairs in CAT5 cable if you have that on hand. The splitter I've used in the past is the Wilcom PS-36, it's good for any DSL/ADSL service worldwide.

This is as good as it gets for DSL installations, and will usually solve in-house wiring issues.

3. WELSHYx

WELSHYx Thread Starter

I do already have a DSL splitter not a very good one and it is wired up to the maste phone socket for my house :/ this is why i cant understand the drops, its never been like this before only recently i need to ring AOL and moan to them about breeching T&C..

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, you probably have a simple filter. In any case, the reason for the splitter at the service entrance is to run a clean line DIRECTLY to the modem and have all the other phone stuff behind the splitter. This eliminates issues with sub-standard wiring inside the house.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice