1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Some keys on my keyboard are not working while other times no keys on my keyboard wor

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ybekele72, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ybekele72

ybekele72 Thread Starter

My Computer Specs:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 20 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3682 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6310, 384 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 280501 MB, Free - 244332 MB; D: Total - 23953 MB, Free - 2893 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 188B
    Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2014, Updated and Enabled

The notebook that is having the problem is an HP 2000-2b19WM

When i turn on the notebook it would ask me to log in but none of the keys would work so i would have to press the button that allows me to go back to where i can choose log into another users account. Then i would click on my account
    at which time all the keys on the keyboard would work except 5, 6, b, n, and the delete key. I reinstalled the keybaords software but that did not make the keys work. I looked online and on this website for solutions to the problem but none of the 4 or 5 solutions that i read about worked for my problem. I finally wiped the hard drive and reinstalled windows 8 but the problem is still there. I wondered if something got under the keys of the keybaord themselves so i took a couple off and looked and there was nothing. I pressed the keys while their cover was off and it still did not work. If the solution you tell me works for me, tell me how come wiping the drive and then reinstalling Windows 8 did not fix the problem. I googled my notebooks name and found the drivers that are avaliable on HP's website. I clicked on Driver - Keyboard, Mouse and Input Drivers. But then it only gave me 2 options: The first was HP Wireless Button Driver. The second was Synaptics Touchpad Driver. But there was nothing there about the keybaord. I wasn't sure if they forgot to mention the keyborad in the title and description or if the thing that said "Driver- Keyboard, Mouse and Drivers" was something they had for all notebooks weather or not they acutally had keyboaard drivers but because it could not hurt to download it and try it, I have downloaded it and i tried to install it: after i tried the message i got was " The best driver software for your device is already installed." I don't know what to do next. Please help me.

2. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

did you try uninstalling the keyboard and rebooting? that is where i would start. after that, i would look at the possibility that it is failing or has a bad connection. another thing to try is to use an external usb keyboard, see if that does the same thing. this will either confirm or eliminate the built in keyboard as faulty if the issue carries over or tell you it is somewhere else if the issue persists.

3. ybekele72

ybekele72 Thread Starter

i did uninstall the keyboard and rebooted and that did NOT fix the problem. i tired using an external usb keyboard and all the keys on the external usb keyboard worked. but the thing that makes me unsure of whether or not this is a problem with the built in keyboard is that i was able to get most of the keys to work for weeks by clicking the back button when my computer use to ask me to log in and then clicking on my account again. Since pressing the back button fixed the problem with most keys it makes me thing that it might be a problem might not be the keyboard maybe something that can be fixed by using the computer instead of replacing the built in keyboard but im not sure. What do you think?

4. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

sounds like a corrupt profile. are you using two, one for admin and one standard? if so, does the problem happen on both or just the one? if you only have one, create another one, then restart and try the other one. if that isn't it, then open a command prompt and run sfc /scannow. then hit enter. could be missing files or a corrupt dll library. if you find that it is a corrput profile, then make sure you create tho tother one and log in to it first, then transfer the files manually, then delete the profile.

5. ybekele72

ybekele72 Thread Starter

i made another profile and it did NOT work. I actually made the other profile over a week ago but could not log in (probably because the on-screen keyboard was not working when i was trying to type in my password so i could log in). What i did different today is that i turned on the guest account and then i was able to log in to the other profile but the keys on my keyboard did not work. I ran the sfc/ scannow in command prompt as an administrator but after it finished the scan it read " Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." Do you know what else i should try to do?

6. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

i would reinstall for a problem like this. if that doesn't work, then it's time for a new keyboard. at this point, it looks as if it's the keyboard, but a reinstall doesn't involve buying something first. i just had another thought, you should download and run a live linux dvd, like slax or liberte or puppy. if you can get the keyboard to work on a live cd, then it's not the keyboard and you would need to reinstall.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!