1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Some Kind of Hardware Problem...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by reepnorp, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reepnorp

reepnorp Thread Starter

So I know that there's got to be some kind of hardware problem with my computer. Every once in a while, it will just freeze and reset. I'm starting to be able to predict it, as usually, about 30 seconds before it freezes, any kind of music or video I'm listening to or watching will start skipping, much the same way that really crappy CD players seem to do. Then it will freeze, and a few seconds after that, it resets. This is where the bigger problem occurs. Often, it doesn't boot back up. It will reset, and I'll hear it whirring away, but it never loads at all. Normally, I can hear it whirring for a few seconds, it goes to a dull hum, and then it boots. But these times, it just continually whirs loudly. Sometimes, if I leave it on for a while, it will randomly start to boot up, other times, I can leave it on for a full day with no results. Turning it off and then back on doesn't seem to do much, and letting it cool down doesn't appear to do anything either. One thing I've noticed is that every time it finally does boot up, the clock seems to still be at the time it was when it crashed. I'm not sure how relevent that is, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

So from all this, I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem, but my question is what might this be? This computer was brand new at the end of August, and I'm trying to get this covered under the warranty. Only problem is that whenever I bring it in to get looked at, it starts working again. Stupid ghost problems...

So any ideas?

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

When was the last time you cleaned out the inside--especially around the CPU heat sink?

3. reepnorp

reepnorp Thread Starter

Um, can't say that I ever have. How would I go about doing this?

4. Compiler

Compiler

If its a desktop - open up the side if the case (locate scew or latch). See if its dusty. If so, go to a computer store, buy a CAN OF AIR.

Take PC outside - blow all the dust out. Don't drop or break anything inside.

Put PC back, attach cables and give it a try.

5. telegramsam

telegramsam

Just like that--and be sure to concentrate around the heat sink and fan. Hold the fan blades still with a popsicle or stick or anything that isn't sharp.

If you've never done this, chances are that's your problem. Dirt in that heat sink will act like a heat blanket and cause the heat to be held down on the processor.

Additionally, take a look at the placement of your PC. Make sure the back of it has plenty of space and air circulation around it to allow it to shed heat and intake cool air.

6. xtreampb

xtreampb

also if you see any other fans that look dusty give them a spray

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice