1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Some kind of SCSI BIOS problem??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peterjackson, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peterjackson

peterjackson Thread Starter

Hey guys. If you could help me out that'd be absolutely fantastic hey.

I'll explain my problem as thoroughly as I can.

I have an IBM pc, dual processor both 500mhz, roughly 300mb ram. and the usual lah's and dah's. It originally had XP installed on my first partitioned drive and a general media/backup on my second partitioned drive, in case I ever needed to format, you know, save the backup process.

The problem occurred when I downloaded the trial for Windows 2003 server.. it was two CD's in .iso format, I burned them to CD all fine and dandy and inserted the one first it told me to. It went about its usual install process and got to the stage where the PC needed to be rebooted to continue.

It made it to the "jurassic park" screen.. a blank black dos screen with a single blinking underscore in the top left. I left it for sufficient time to realise nothing further was going to happen.

Things I've tried:
    - booting from floppy disk .. nothing at all.. doesn't appear to recognise it or even look for it
    - booting from cd .. same as above
    - "resetting" cmos/bios or whatever by a) playing with jumpers and b) taking cmos battery out for half an hour. this did reset some things but not the problem.

If i dont choose to go into bios, the general procedure is as follows: (same with or without floppy and bootable cdrom) I've used the @ symbol to denote a message I'm getting on screen.. not letter for letter but including all possibly important info..

@PXE-MO4: init network boot device using interrupt 18h

@Adaptec SCSI BIOS v1.31 1997 all rights reserved..

@<< to use SCSISelect(TM) press CTRL+A >>

@No SCSI boot device found

@SCSI BIOS not installed

and then it tries to run "Intel Landisk", ends up giving me..
    @1962 No operating system found press F1 to repeat boot sequence
    with a massive dumb ascii art of me putting a floppy into its drive. eventually it will try start landisk again and continue this loop of two screens.

Also: I don't believe the windows install removed any data from any drives yet.. My understanding is that windows xp is still intact on drive C:

Also: The two menu options I am provided with, being the F1 for setup and CTRL+A for SCSISelect, I have played with thoroughly. I've looked at all available options and have researched and learnt quite a lot already actually. If any of my changes in those menus make a change in the computer it is only minor and doesn't give me any extra options. Yes I have made sure its trying to boot from floppy

Also: My SCSISelect feature, whatever that is :) tells me I have AIC-7895 host adapter.. with two possible bus:device:channel options to play around with.. being 00:03:A and 00:03:B.. when using disk util on them both it searches and both say I have AIC-7895 on SCSI ID #7, and my other #15 or so have no devices. I don't really understand SCSI at all, except its a "bus", or a hardware means of transferring data from one thing to another?

*So*
    Obviously this is rather complex? Any advice or suggestions AT ALL (like even a better explanation of my SCSI.. there are lots of different ones!) would be greatly, greatly appreciated. I would like to be able, at least, diagnose the problem, to know what needs to be fixed. This has really got me stumped, and the worst thing of all is I can't seem to use my floppy drive to boot diskettes or my cdrom drive to boot windows, ultimate boot cd, or anything!

Thanks in advance guys,
    peterjackson

2. peterjackson

peterjackson Thread Starter

I'm *very* unimpressed with the service you people offer.

As if none of you knows what SCSI is?

This is pathetic.

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

"@1962 No operating system found press F1 to repeat boot sequence
    with a massive dumb ascii art of me putting a floppy into its drive. eventually it will try start landisk again and continue this loop of two screens."

Your system can't find an operating system. Its looking for you to put a boot floppy in and hit F1 to continue.

"@PXE-MO4: init network boot device using interrupt 18h" The system is trying to boot from the network card. You should be able to turn off that option in the computers BIOs.

As for SCSI drives is that what you have installed? If not you can ignore any SCSI controllers. SCSI drives use a different interface which hooks to the SCSI controller card or a SCSI connection on the motherboard. Since no SCSI driver are detected your probably just have the controllers with nothing hooked to them.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SCSI.html

If you have IDE drives check in the computers bios to see if the drives are detected there.

I'm thinking that your install wiped out your MBR and that you will need to reinstall XP. You will probably need to change the boot order in the computers bios to boot from the cdrom first.

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

I wasn't aware that Microsoft ever offered the Server 2003 Trial as a two CD .ISO set.

Oh well, you learn something new every day.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!