Some problems in XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Johnny Do

I have a HP laptop computer and i recently upgraded its OS from Win ME to Windows XP Pro and it's running well excepts 2 minor problems that if you can help, I would be greatly appreciated.

1) I have a dial-up internet account(Sprint.ca). Before the upgrade everytime I click on the Internet connection icon, it connected me to the internet right away. Now, after I installed WIn Xp, it ALWAYS takes me at least 3 times to connect to the internet. It really drives me crazy sometimes.

2) Before the upgrade, when the battery is low, win ME gave me a warning( ie displays a message). Now when the battery is low, Win XP just turns off the computer without a warning. Is there any other ways of knowing when the battery is low?

Can anyone tell me how to fix these two problems. Thanks

Not sure about the first problem, but why don't you try to reinstall the software or create a new dial-up.

on the second issue go to the display properties, go to the screen saver tab then go to the power button. the power options properties will come up go to the alarm tab and then go to the alarm action button make sure that the notification and make sure the the display message is checked.

Hopefully that should take care of the problems you are having

I have no experience of XP but just a few suggestions....have you looked for a winXP driver for your modem? Do you know if the final connection speed is the same as you were getting before? Are the modem settings: error handling etc the same in the XP set up as previously. About the battery - have you installed all the APM support from XP?

Good luck

Steven

Johnny Do

Thanks for all your replies, they're very helful.
Just one question in return, what is APM support from XP?
It would be great if you can be more specific. Thanks.

APM ...I think stands for advanced power management and is the feature that when enabled in windows 98 allows the battery and power saving features to be controlled. As I said I don't know anything about XP and it may be irrelevant. Sorry if I have confused you.

Steven

I had this same problem (APM). To fix it, ya just gotta install one device. In add new hardware, there is an option for NT/APM Legacy (or something similar). Install the driver with the same name as that catergory. Problem Solved. Go to the power options to configure it.

One other thing that could be wrong is your power settings (leaving apm out of it) Go to them, and then see if there is an alarms tab. Change the settings there to suit your liking. I honestly don't think APM will do terribly much. The alarms (or lack thereof) are configured under that alarms tab.

Good Luck...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online