1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Some problems using Windows 98 SE

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by moinkansas, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moinkansas

moinkansas Thread Starter

Since reformatting my hard drive and installing Windows 98 SE, I ocassionally have problems shutting down, booting up, and with sytem freezes. These are the snags I've run into: Opera 6.0 (ad-sponsored version) hangs on shutdown, or Zone Alarm's True Vector 2.6.362 doesn't initialize when I reboot and if I continue and try to check my mail in Eudora 5.1 (sponsored mode) the result is a blue screen (I think two of them have been general protection errors 017FBFF9DFFF and 0028:00000002), or, while I'm using my PC, the cursor vanishes and there's a system freeze.

Following the recommendations given on Windows Shutdown and Restart Center (http://www.aumha.org/a/shutdown.htm), I've installed the Windows 98 SE Shutdown Patch, checked to make sure Fast Shutdown is disabled, and created desktop icon shortcuts using C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE SHELL32.DLL,SHExitWindowsEx 1, and C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE user,exitwindows. Using either icon shortcut has cut down on how often problems occur, but they still happen. (Restart works perfectly.) My hard drive is clean and recently scanned and defragmented. Using msconfig.exe, I've disabled all but the programs I need to run on start up. Any suggestions would be much appreciated -- Thanks!!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi moinkansas.....

There should be more info on the related error messages.....

Are any files or programs mentioned specifically?

The complete error message always helps.

Also, it might help if you posted your startup programs.

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok...go to software, startup, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

3. moinkansas

Sorry about not writing down the whole error message -- I'll copy it the next time I get one, but my recollection is that there haven't been any messages referring to specific programs or files.

Here are the start-up programs I'm using:

ZoneAlarm Common Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe" -nopopup
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    NAV Agent Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE
    NPROTECT Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\nprotect.exe
    Q3dRaven Registry (Machine Run) rundll32.exe C:\Progra~1\Q3D\Raven\WIN9X\Q3dPs3.dll,Q3dLoadSettings
    2wSysTray Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\2WIRE\HOMEPORTAL\2PORTALMON.EXE
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
    NPROTECT Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\nprotect.exe
    TrueVector Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
    MiniLog Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\MINILOG.EXE -service

Thanks!

Mo

4. moinkansas

Hi, I'm back! <grin> The error message was, "A fatal OE exception has occurred at 0028:0000002. The current application will be terminated." At the time, my computer had already been slowing down and I probably should have just rebooted it. (There's only 64 MB RAM.) I had a few windows open in Eudora, and I ran Norton System Works 2002's one button check. I'm not sure, but I think I checked my mail while it was running. At that point, most of the graphics in the Norton window vanished. Control-Alt-Delete didn't work, but I could close Eudora by clicking on the upper right hand corner. Each time I tried end tasks with Control-Alt-Delete, I got a blue screen with the above error message. I closed the two programs that I could in the system tray (Is that what it's called, the icon bar in the lower right hand corner?), but the same thing happened. Like I said, this doesn't happen a lot, but I'm curious about why it happens at all, so I'd love it if anyone felt like helping out. Also, I'm going to push my luck and ask one last really dopey question -- What does the OE in 'OE exception' stand for? Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice