1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Some Programs Don't Open, Some Don't Install - I'm at a loss

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by teedee74, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teedee74

teedee74 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have some strange behavoiur where programs such as Vuze, uTorrent, TuneUp, last.Fm Scrobbler don't seem to work. I'm also now havin trouble download an updated version of Java. In some cases I get an error message saying please check Internet Connection (OK), Firewall (On - no change and these have work for months and months without a problem), and Spyware (no change on those).

I did add a Proxy address to LAN connections in IE but have since deleted that - I don't think it's that.

I just don't have the knowledge to know how to tackle this. Appreciate any advice where I can start looking.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic , Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5670 @ 1.80GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2038 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 229255 MB, Free - 141063 MB; D: Total - 9217 MB, Free - 1879 MB; F: Total - 305242 MB, Free - 39051 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 3618, KBC Version 12.00
    Antivirus: Total Protection, Updated: No, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Thanks

Tony

2. mucker2010

mucker2010

why where you using a proxy?
    And is this on a business network? maybe these apps have been blocked at the gateway level

3. teedee74

teedee74 Thread Starter

Hi,

I was using a proxy to access BBC iPlayer since I live outside the UK.

I am connected through a router in my flat. My wife's connected to the same router but she doesn't seem to have any problem with her Laptop.

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1007383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice