Some programs not working unless I reboot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

adamx

I noticed that while I am I runing some programs one of which is a program that displays some fast changing data graphically in real time, I cannot open Adobe photoshop. I noticed from Task Manager, that while these programs did not start, a process called photshop.exe and Adobe_IPC_Broker processes started'

Today I noticed media player also does not open when I am running this program. Task Manager showed that WMplayer.exe *process* started, but not the *application*. If I reboot, both Photoshop and Media Player worked fine wiothout any issues.

I did the following additional tests:

The second time when I had a problem opening Media Player, I merely closed the above mentioned graphic display program and tried to run Media Player without rebooting the computer. I tried this process twice. Media Player Window did not open once. But second time it ran.. So I cannot reproduce this error consistently 100% of the time.

If I reboot an then open all programs, then immediately open Media Player (even after the graphs drawing program was opened and working), everything, including Media Player work fine.

I have a Windows 7 computer with 12GB memory, Approx 8.5GB was free after opening the graphs program. The CPU is alos quite powerful. Secondly, as soon as I reboot and check free memory, I have 9,109MB free out of 12GB. If I open the graphs program, the free memory dropped to 8,573MB. So I do not know if this is the sole culprit (or is free memory not the only resource level that I should check?). Are there any things I can do to solve this?

Thanks

Arun

This could be caused by programs sitting on hard disk bad sectors. One moment the program was read fine, and another moment the program can't be read. Open Windows Explorer, right click on hard drive and select Properties > Tools Tab. Click on Check Now. If you are checking the system drive, you have to reboot for the checking to run at startup.

So if that program that has fast graphics is running, the PhotoShop and Windows Media Player wouldn't run ? It may be that those 2 programs cannot initialize their display. What graphics card do you have?

adamx

My Graphics Card is NVidea GEForce GTX460. (driver dt 5/19/2014).

Also I noticed the problem to occur now. Again the graphs program is on, but while it is displaying a graph, it does not have to redraw the screen every second as the data does not change over a weekend. Adobe didnot open now. Media Palyer, however, ran well.I left the computer as is and did not reboot to run Photoshop, just in case you want me to do any tests.

I also checked Adobe forums and based on some replies for issues with starting Adobe, I deleted the preferences file as sometimes a corrupt preferences file may cause this problem (it will get created again when Photoshop starts). But this deletion did not help. Photoshop did not start.

I closed the graphs program. Still Photoshop did not start.

Never had this problem yesterday when I did not open the graphs program.

Arun

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online