Some questions regarding DSL...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Captain_Kash

How do I find out how far I am from my DSL Central Office? My 256k speed connection with Qwest is horrible, I'm guessing my location sucks. My downloads max at 25kb/s.

Could it also be the modem though? Qwest has provided me with an Actiontec R1524SU... and over these two years it seems pretty weak. The connection dies quickly under pressure.

Captain_Kash

Communications 175.8 kilobits per second
Storage 21.5 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 47.7 seconds

That's what I got... horrible, no? What can I do to tweak my connection? What factors affect my speed?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Uhh... 25kbyte/sec is pretty normal for a 256kbit connection, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Captain_Kash

Screw DSL then, I'm gonna get Comcast Cable Internet. It's just that my phone service is included with the Qwest DSL package, so there'll be some juggling around when I switch to Comcast's Internet service (I'm out of their phone service area).

Anyone here have 4MB Cable? How fast are your average file downloads? Thanks.

I think I'm gonna get a D-Link 202 (something similar to this) or a Motorola modem for the Cable.

I got the 768Kb or whatever it is from verizon and it is close to T1. It works pretty well, here are my results if your interested:

Communications 1.5 megabits per second
Storage 177.4 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 5.8 seconds
Subjective rating Good

Captain_Kash

Yeah that's amazing :O

My download maxes out at 21kb/s... and I pay like $40 a month for this. I hope Verizon services my area...

By the way, how much do you pay?

Captain_Kash

Wait... if I wanted to just upgrade my DSL from the 256K to 3-5mbps speed, would I just give Qwest a call and they upgrade right away or would I need a new router? I don't want to go through the hassle of changing ISPs... Thanks.

I think the package you have right now would only be $15/month with verizon. I pay about $30 for mine and have been very happy with it. I am sure you could just upgrade your package with who you have now. I wouldn't think you would have to change any hardware, but you would just have to call them for any information about pricing and hardware.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I have Comcast 6000/384, and most large file downloads from fast servers are in the 700-800kbyte/sec range.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online