1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Some Solutions for fixing Windows Update

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bbearren, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbearren

bbearren Thread Starter

If you have already downloaded and installed Windows Installer 3.1 from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&DisplayLang=en

and you're still having problems with Windows Update, you can try the following:

Step 1: Re-register the related Windows Update files:
    ================================
    1. Click Start, Run, and input the following commands in the Run textbox: (you can make this simpler by copy/pasting one line at a time, then click OK after each one, then click Start, Run again and repeat with the next command)

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 atl.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuweb.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 msxml.dll
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    regsvr32 msxml2.dll
    regsvr32 qmgr.dll
    regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

You will receive a message stating the process succeeded after you input each command.

After that, visit the Windows Update site again. Is the issue resolved?

If the issue persists, the local Windows Update engine files may have been corrupted. I suggest you take the following steps to rename the corrupted files and see if that resolves the issue.

Step 2: Rename the temporary folders of Windows Update.
    ==================
    This issue can occur if the temporary folders of Windows Update have been corrupted. You can refer to these steps to rename these folders. Be assured the folders will be created again when you visit the Windows Update site again.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Run the following command in the opened window:

net stop wuauserv

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir%\SoftwareDistribution and press Enter to open the temporary folder of the Windows Update engine. Then, rename the following two subfolders:

DataStore
    Download

For example, rename DataStore to DataStore-old, and Download to Download-old.

3. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Run the following command in the opened window:

net start wuauserv

After we rename the above folders, please restart the computer in normal mode and visit the Windows Update site again. Is the issue resolved?

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Hey good one or one(s) but the last time I had trouble with a windows update what I did on the ladies computer was to disable teatimer from spybot and turn-off the anti-virus program and then went back to windows update and it worked. I t turned out the anti-virus or teatimer or a combination of them was stopping the active X from installing and this messed up the updates.

I got this fix from Microsoft tech support and surprising it worked

3. bbearren

bbearren Thread Starter

I don't do automatic updates (except for Windows Defender), just get the notifications and then do the updates manually. I have Teatimer on my laptop, and when I install updates on it, I get the "Is this OK..." popup from Teatimer, so I check Remember this action and then click OK. That's one reason I don't do automatic updates.

For AV I use NOD32, and it has never interfered with updates.

4. devil_himself

devil_himself

5. devil_himself

devil_himself

6. devil_himself

devil_himself

7. frank17

frank17

Sorry that did not work, I am now threading my way through the suggestion from Castlecops

Frank17

8. JopiA007

JopiA007

hello guys,

Good day to all reader, I have one question. Can I send net message using wireless connection?

Hoping to hear your favorable replies..thanks

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

JopiA007

Could you please start a new thread on this subject basically this subject is not the same as the thread and it is difficult to keep track of different subjects and more that one person in a single thread. You will get a better answer in a new thread.

Thank you

10. frank17

frank17

Hi

Sorry for the belated reply but the problem is solved. It was not easy, my JRE and MS.NET framework were corrupted, I had too many programmes in the startup list. Unrelated to this my OE was corrupted. It really surprised me that my M/C was working at all. Thanks for your contribution, however I was pointed to a MS page that solved this.

Regards
    Frank17

One sees great things from the valley, only small things from the peak.
    G. K. Chesterton

11. Irri_Tant

Irri_Tant

did the following from the 1st post

worked a treat, thanx (y)

had been looking for the answer to my problems

12. ghettodog_1953

ghettodog_1953

Thanks devil himself but all thease repairs cost money that i dont have . thanks any way.

13. devil_himself

devil_himself

??? How Does it Cost Money

14. JMFD

JMFD

You guys are wonderful.. 2 minute google search found your solution (had to re register the dlls) that i'd been pulling my hair out out of.

/hugs to all

15. bbearren

bbearren Thread Starter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!