Some usb ports don't work and no Display after changing cooler

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rodras

So i've built a pc, and after some days I changed the stockcooler, after I changed the cooler I booted up the pc. The pc boots up but some usb ports don't work and it shows no Display. I searched for the problem and some people said it was the motherboard that was damaged, so I did that, bought a new motherboard, built the pc again and the problem was still the same. Can anyone help me solve the problem?

PC specs:

- Ryzen 7 2700x

-Ram Memory - 16 GB of Ram Memory

-GraphicCard - Rtx 2070 Super 8 gb

-Power Supply - Corsair RM650x 650W

-Ssd - 1 Tb Ssd

-Motherboard - MSI B450M Pro-VDH Max

crjdriver

Remove the GPU and use the motherboard VGA and see if you get any display.
There is no onboard video. The motherboard video port is to support processors with onchip video; the ryzen 2700X does not have video.

crjdriver

For the original poster. What exact cooler did you install?
Just wondering; when you removed the first cooler, did the processor by chance pull off with the cooler attached; ie processor and cooler together?

FWIW I am no fan of msi. IMO msi is a mid-level mfg [at best] and not up to the quality of a high end asus, gigabyte, or asrock board. The msi board you listed in your first post is not even a high end msi board; it is a micro board. Generally micro boards are used for basic systems ie running office, email, etc NOT running a gaming type video card. A micro board does not have heavy duty pw regulation, heavy duty capacitors, extra chipset cooling, steel video slots, etc, etc.

Last edited:

Rodras

For the original poster. What exact cooler did you install?
Just wondering; when you removed the first cooler, did the processor by chance pull off with the cooler attached; ie processor and cooler together?

FWIW I am no fan of msi. IMO msi is a mid-level mfg [at best] and not up to the quality of a high end asus, gigabyte, or asrock board. The msi board you listed in your first post is not even a high end msi board; it is a micro board. Generally micro boards are used for basic systems ie running office, email, etc NOT running a gaming type video card. A micro board does not have heavy duty pw regulation, heavy duty capacitors, extra chipset cooling, steel video slots, etc, etc.
Yes, the cpu came off attached to the cooler, do you think it broke the cpu?
The new motherboard I got is the Asus Prime x470-pro

crjdriver

Yes, you broke the processor. While it is technically possible to pull the processor attached to the cooler and not damage it, I have never seen this done. Every time I have seen an amd pulled with the cooler attached, it broke one or more pins on the processor.
Here is how you remove a cooler when it will not come off with a gentle twist;
1 System OFF, release the cam lock and remove the spring clips holding on the cooler. Make sure the fan lead is still connected
2 Pw ON the system and let it run for 2min
3 Shutdown and grab hold of the cooler. Give it a gentle twist back and forth. It will now lift right off
The new motherboard I got is the Asus Prime x470-pro
At least you purchased a decent board this time and the 2700X is down to $179 at the egg. Consider it a learning experience and go forward from here.

Last edited:

Rodras

Yes, you broke the processor. While it is technically possible to pull the processor attached to the cooler and not damage it, I have never seen this done. Every time I have seen an amd pulled with the cooler attached, it broke one or more pins on the processor.
Here is how you remove a cooler when it will not come off with a gentle twist;
1 System OFF, release the cam lock and remove the spring clips holding on the cooler. Make sure the fan lead is still connected
2 Pw ON the system and let it run for 2min
3 Shutdown and grab hold of the cooler. Give it a gentle twist back and forth. It will now lift right off

At least you purchased a decent board this time and the 2700X is down to $179 at the egg. Consider it a learning experience and go forward from here.
Thank you very much! Im gonna buy the new processor and then I will come back here to tell you if it solved the problem.

crjdriver

BTW you might want to do an out of case build prior to mounting the board in the case. Be sure and have standoffs in the correct holes and no where else. There are detailed instructions for doing an out of case build in the sticky titled "Problem builds"
In addition to the above before installing the new processor, do the following;
1 Open the lever lock on the cpu socket
2 Turn the board upside down and give it a gentle shake. If there are any broken pins from the old processor, they will now fall out
3 Turn the board right side up and install the cpu. Close the lever lock. Install cooler. Note you must use new thermal compound. Do not reuse the old compound that is on the cooler [even if it looks fine]

Last edited:

Rodras

BTW you might want to do an out of case build prior to mounting the board in the case. Be sure and have standoffs in the correct holes and no where else. There are detailed instructions for doing an out of case build in the sticky titled "Problem builds"
In addition to the above before installing the new processor, do the following;
1 Open the lever lock on the cpu socket
2 Turn the board upside down and give it a gentle shake. If there are any broken pins from the old processor, they will now fall out
3 Turn the board right side up and install the cpu. Close the lever lock. Install cooler. Note you must use new thermal compound. Do not reuse the old compound that is on the cooler [even if it looks fine]
So hello again, I bought the new cpu and installed it, the problem is still the same.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online