1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Some water spilled on my laptop and now some keys don't work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimflint1, Jul 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimflint1

jimflint1 Thread Starter

Hi. A couple of days ago when I was at work, my wife spilled some water on the laptop. If I would have been home, I would have shut it off immediately, but that isn't what happened. She and my daughter tried to dry it off. When I got home from work, I placed it in a bag of rice. It had been there for more than 24 hours and I just pulled it out and tried it and though the computer itself works fine with a remote keyboard, the actual keyboard on the laptop has a bunch of keys that won't work. I vacuumed out the remaining grains of rice and still nothing. Any suggestions?

2. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    from what you say, it looks like the best solution. and as you have already removed the keyboard, your as good to go the distance and replace it with new or a refurbished keyboard.

enter the laptop model/details online, to be sure of the right part and for a competitive prices. see what ebay can offer. also, be sure to look for a guide from youtube and have the laptop manual nearby.

as for the rice method, sometimes it takes days to draw out all moisture.
    more said here,
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/water-on-laptop-keyboard-unable-to-log-in.1173867/

3. Saturable

Saturable

First Name:
    Mark
    Yes, a replacement keyboard would be the only way to fully solve this issue. Water spills are very serious when it comes to electronic devices, so be sure that no other components have been damaged in the process.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1174113

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice