1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

some website has taken over my homepage! win95

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by takatomon1, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. takatomon1

takatomon1 Thread Starter

somehow a website that i don't want anything to do has forced itself onto my homepage and i can't get rid of it! i went into my control panel and tried apply/ok for http://www.overture.com which didn't work nor did a simple ok. once i shut down and reboot, it comes back. i recieved an unsolicited email at yahoo with an attachment. i wantd to block the sender, but yahoo doesn't let you block a sender until you open the letter!?!?!. i did not open any attachments, but when i clicked on it my system froze and made a squealing sound. how do i get rid of this unwanted homepage? ever since i downloaded explorer 5.5 (i hate it and want 4 back!) to download cometcursor (i hated that too as it added an unwanted toolbar) and errorscan and some other browser (all deleted and/or uninstalled except explorer 5.5) my system has been freezing and acting up. the unwanted website started today. again i can't get rid of it using my control panel. if i didn't have over 300 megs of saved files, i'd wipe my hard drive and start from scratch to cure this. i don't have a zip drive or a couple hundred floppies to save what i want.

2. TekBonkerz

TekBonkerz

Hello takatomon1

Look at that web cite it takes you to for information on how to remove their junk. or email them with a complaint.

I would take you to the reigistry, but it seems that whats causing this, is a stooopid program. So it will change it again.

Win95 doesnt have a System Configuration Utility like Win98, wich would make this job easier....
    I can email you the System Configuration Utility file MSCONFIG.EXE
    It will work on Windows95, just put it in the C:\Windows\System folder and restart PC.
    Then click on Start > Run and type MSCONFIG
    Click on the START UP tab and you will see a list of items being launched when your pc starts.
    The evil program should be there.
    Remove the chekmark from it and then click on OK.
    It will ask you to restart PC for the changes to take effect.

You mentioned comet cursor also. This means you have spyware in your system for sure.
    Go to Ad-Aware Downoad Page at CNET.com and download Ad-Aware 5.62 Final (833.9 kb)
    This program will remove spyware from your PC.

There is a description of spyware at that cite also.

:D Hope this helps :D

3. AAPlus

AAPlus

Hello, takatomon1

Please make sure that when you install

Ad-Aware that the Reflist # is 241-14.01.2002

you will see it at the bottom left of the scanner

& if you find anything when you scan & do not

know what to delete copy & Paste your log file

& someone will help you can get Both the reflist

& scanner @ http://www.lavasoftusa.com/downloads.html

4. AAPlus

AAPlus

Hey,takatomon1

did you happen to scan your OS for

any Virus Or trojans

Will good luck

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

6. annieskid

annieskid

I have ME, a full D drive, and can't download anything new until
    I delete read only files or replace D drive. My homepage has
    been reset to Yahoo five times by changing it to my default
    page before signing on. It works for a day or to, then goes
    back to a page I don't ever want my 11 year old son to see.
    I barely glance at it for fear he'll see it and start clicking.
    Titled Rub to MSN, it looks nothing like anything I've found on
    MSN. The first or second option to click on is lesbians. I'd like
    to delete this from my computer but I can't find it listed in any
    files to delete. I think I accidentally downloaded this thinking it was really MSN but instead picked up a nasty clone.OOPS!

7. AAPlus

AAPlus

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66611

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice