1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Some windows 8 questions

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by preet_kumar, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. preet_kumar

preet_kumar Thread Starter

1) In previous versions of windows, each window including IE window, had a 'Refresh' icon. Windows8 does not have it. Is there a way to have it show up?

2) When doing a search for files, search results show files which when clicked, windows reports as not existing. This problem was there in Vista Home edition as well. Sometimes, when one deletes a file (I usually delete *.log and *.tmp daily), it gets deleted but it does not get removed from the list). Is there a way to fix this problem? Disk cleanup, does not delete most of the *.tmp and *.log files

3) For earlier versions of windows, a utilility 'move on reboot' deleted files, which were open in a program, on reboot. 'Delete on reboot' appeared on the rt. click menu. (again I used it only for log and tmp files) Is such a utility available for windows 8? The older utility does not work with windows 8.

Thanks,

Preet

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Which version of Windows 8 are you using, the standard PC, or the RT for tablets?

3. preet_kumar

I am using standard PC. It came pre installed on Inspiron Ultrabook.

Preet

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    IE10 desktop version has a refresh. See attached.

Attached Files:

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Press F5 or use the refresh/reload button which is present in both the desktop and Modern versions of IE - it's the arrow symbol that goes in a circle.

I never do this so I've never had this problem. There's really no need or benefit to delete these files daily.

Never existed, you had to either install a third party program to add this or edit the registry to create a custom entry for this. You'd have to do the same in Windows 8.

6. preet_kumar

Reply by Preet
    It was a third party program, but it does not work in windows 8. I have installed it.
    Thanks

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. preet_kumar

Thanks Triple6. I have installed Gipo moveon Boot, and windows 8 applied compatibility settings, but it does not appear on the right click menu, as it did in Vista. Running the program by double clicking on it, it asks for file names that need to be deleted. I do not want spend time doing that. So it is unusable for my purposes.

Preet

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Move on Boot supports drag and drop functionality, just drag the file into it to delete it. Also, why did install it in Compatibility mode? The system requirements say it supports Windows 8. Why do you constantly need to delete locked files anyway?

10. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Referring to your post 1 and my colleagues post 5
    I entirely agree and I would take it a stage further - if you persist on Windows 8 you will create all manner of problems, not least of which I think will be a noticeable slowing down of some functions, as diskcleanup on 8 decides for you which tmp files may be safely deleted

Also if by log files you include the event viewer log files - those can provide a valuable insight into what is amiss and deleting those - is not a good idea

IMHO Windows 8 from what I have seen manages its file systems very well and I believe you are attempting to manage it, as one may have found necessary on XP. My advice is as per that of my colleague - leave it alone with the exception of the normal maintenance for diskcleanup and browser history etc

To try and convince you of what I have said a search in 8 for xml the format in which many logs are stored results in 182 entries on my Windows 8
    If you delete any of these using some procedure you WILL have problems
    I have attached a screenshot of just a few XML entries

Attached Files:

11. preet_kumar

Thanks Triple6. I was referring to 'Gipo moveon boot'. It did not work, and 'windows' when asked to trouble shoot, suggested compatibility mode, but it still did not work. I then uninstalled it.

After reading your suggestion, I installed 'Emco moveOn Boot'. Dragging (with rt or left mouse buotton) fikles to it does not work. I tried C: *.ext, but the program only looked in c:\, and did not find the files.

Is there a mask that would indicate all folders and subfolders on c:?

Thanks.
    Preet

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Unlocker works with Windows 8 and has a right click menu option, that might be easier for you to use: http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/#download
    Just be sure when downloading it you download Unlocker and not the junkware they use to pay the bills on the site and when installing to uncheck the toolbar option.

13. preet_kumar

Thanks triple6. I downloaded the 'unlocker' (I used to have it on my old windows vista laptop, but had forgotten its url).
    and installed it. It is now in the 'rt.click' menu. From my previous experience with it, some times file/files cannot be unlocked. Hence the need for 'moveon boot'.

Thanks,
    Preet

14. preet_kumar

Thanks for your advice. I shall follow it, and only use 'disk cleanup' from now on.

Preet

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Unlocker can delete files on boot too, it asks when it can't delete it normally.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086830

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice