1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Somebody please help! laptop making grinding noise!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mudbogn, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mudbogn

mudbogn Thread Starter

HI, i just recently got a COMPAQ Presario CQ56 Laptop this past christmas brand new, i use this laptop quite frequently on my lap when laying in bed. one night i was watching youtube videos, when all of a sudden i heard this god awful grinding noise coming from under my laptop right by the fan. i stuck my ear right next to the fan and thats where the sound seemed to be coming from. if i turn it off and let it set over night, and then turn it on in the morning, there's no noise. but only when i use this laptop for like 1-2 hours does the noise come back. somebody please help me cause this noise sounds bad, and i just got this laptop not even 3 months ago. thank you!

2. Sponsor

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try using it on a hard surface. If you put it on a soft surface, air holes can get plugged and overheating result.

Make sure all your files and operating system are backed up in case the hard drive fails. It will fail without a doubt if you use the machine long enough. All things do.

4. mudbogn

mudbogn Thread Starter

well i read some troubleshooters, and they said to tell the difference to find out if its the fan or the hard drive, put a small platic straw in the fan before turning on the computer, if the sound stops, and the second you remove the straw, that its the fan, so i did so, and im pretty positive its the fan. but i have no idea where to get another fan?????

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is the fan making noise when the machine overheats? Laptops can't be used in bed very often since there is no hard surface underneath. Does the laptop make the same noise when started and used on a table?

The fan may or may not be replaceable. Possible only the fins are bent, or maybe they only rub when hot. Either way, you can't fix it yourself.

6. mudbogn

mudbogn Thread Starter

im pretty positive its the fan, cause if i turn on my laptop after not using it for a couple hours, and im on it longer than 2 hours, the fan begins making the grinding noise, like the fan is loose or is unbalanced, like its rubbing against something, its a metal fan, and a couple forums ive read said you can replace it yourself. but i dont trust myself enough to replace it myself, if i took it to best buy where the laptop was bought, could i have geek squad check it out and them for sure tell me what the problem is?

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, the experts should do it if you can't. But does it only make noise when too hot? That is still the question I wonder about. If that is the case, then cooling is something you need to think about before the whole machine stops working.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/978954

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice