1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Somebody PLEASE help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jssmi765, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jssmi765

jssmi765 Thread Starter

I am running a Dell Dualcore with windows XP. My problem began with a virus, "Your Protection" virus to be specific. I don't know how it got past my Windows Security Essentials and Malwarebytes, but it did and it shut them down. I used my laptop to research it and found the HKEY, etc. files to delete and it seemed I got it, but there was something else slowing down my computer. I couldn't re-load my virus protection and the computer kept stalling. Upon one restart attempt, Windows failed to load and I got the message:

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.

Cound not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information."

First, I tried the fix-it steps on Microsofts help page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477 .

Method 1: I can't rebuild the boot file because I can't open windows (I don't know what moron put that step in considering the whole reason there is a problem is because I can't start windows)

Method 2: From Recovery I tried: bootcfg /rebuild.

Method 3: I tried to enter the command: expand
    D:\i386\ntkrnlmp.ex_ C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe but the computer returned the response: "The system cannot find the file or directory specified."

Method 4: I ran CHKDSK /R

Nothing worked so I looked further and found a reccomendation of running from Recovery: bootcfg /add then fixboot for C: ... no help there.

I then used the recovery DVD to "repair the selected WindowsXP installation"... twice. Nothing.

Then I purchased Fix-it Utilities 10 and created a recovery CD... it won't load.

I then ran a systems diagnostics on the OS the Hard Drive and the DVD drive, no problems.

I still can't get windows to start. HELP!!!

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Use F8 at the boot screen, then try Safe Mode, will it load windows now?

3. jssmi765

jssmi765 Thread Starter

I've tried every option in F8 and F12. :( Nothing works.

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/fix-mbr-xp-vista/

Try running the Recovery Console, and use the command fixmbr.

You will still have to re-install a brand new copy of Windows......this malware infects the Master Boot Record, and can hide as a rootkit there and has many ways to protect itself.
    Fixmbr may let you get to important files if you have any you need to rescue, however there are half a dozen ways to do that.....

Running fixmbr usually will get rid of the rootkit, and if you are going to try and scan for other malware, you will need a second PC that can either burn CDs, DVD;s, or an external drive like a flash drive to transfer files to scan with....
    Almost every new malware help request we are getting now is one type of this rootkit.....

I can move your thread for you to our Malware Removal forum to see what they have for you. (( Let me know.))
    If you do not have your own XP CD, you can borrow one to run the Recovery Console.

Try to find one that is Home Edition or XP Pro if you are using that. Media Center is XP Pro. Try to find an XP CD that is at least Service Pack 2.

A Dell XP CD (if you have a Dell machine that is infected) is a bootable, normal XP CD so you should be able to load the Console with one if you have a Dell, and maybe if you don't, I've never tried. They will only INSTALL on a Dell.....

5. jssmi765

jssmi765 Thread Starter

I have the original Dell XP service pack 2 CD.

Do I need to try fixmbr then do a "repair" from the recovery cd?

Also, if there is a way I could access my files to save the important ones, I would be willing to just wipe the drive clean and start over. I do have a 250 gig external hard drive, a laptop with the same os which has a DVD burner and an 8 gig flash drive. I have downloaded A-Squared and ClamWinPortable to the flash drive.

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

7. jssmi765

jssmi765 Thread Starter

fixmbr and reinstall did not work. Do you think my best option at this point is to save my files with Ubuntu and wipe everything clean?

8. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Sorry, I didn't see where you said you had tried fixmbr

Anyhow, if that and what else you tried didn't work, it's a good reason to wipe the drive and reload everything.....

When you save what you need to, wipe the drive (definitely do NOT do a Repair then, you must delete the partitions....but not the Dell Recovery partition....

You should also read up on the Dell support pages for your specific model

You go to Dell support

http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs

Choose a link to Drivers and Downloads, or Technical Support which will ask you for the Service Tag.....type in the Service Tag ID and it will show you the information about your PC, look for an entry in the pages about Recovery

The Service Tag ID is found underneath on a Dell laptop and on the rear on a label for towers.

9. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

If you have the Dell recovery partition, use that to reinstall the OS, reinstalling from CD will render that restore partition inoperable.

What model Dell is it?

10. jssmi765

jssmi765 Thread Starter

One thing just occurred to me. Ubunto is loading right now but Fix-it Utilities would not load. Both are iso images and I recorded both the same way. From what I understand, fix-it should fix my problem without the total wipe I'm planning. Any thoughts on this?

11. jssmi765

jssmi765 Thread Starter

I have a dell dimension e520.

12. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

13. jssmi765

jssmi765 Thread Starter

Ok, will do. I can't thank you enough for your help!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice