1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

somefox

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by dedaven6, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dedaven6

dedaven6 Thread Starter

I was fooled into downloading the Somefox malware(?) by a very official looking popup that seemed to indicate my protection program was saying it was OK to do so. Consequently, a red shield with a white "X" was inserted into the tray of my screen (right hand side, bottom) and a popup starting appearing that stated "You have a security problem." This was followed by other popups that appeared to be trying to sell me some sort of anti-virus product.

I stumbled into Control Panel/Administrative e Tools/System Configuration/Startup/Somefox while trying to locate the source of the problem. The Somefox entry was among three other entries identified as "unknown." I was suspicious of all four entries, so I disabled them and restarted my laptop. This eliminated the shield in the tray and the popups, so then I re-enabled the entries one at a time, restarting my laptop each time, until the problem returned. This process of elimination identified Somefox as the culprit, so I re-disabled that entry. This action has precluded the return of the shield and the popups, but my e-mail "Check" is slow and there's a faint flutter in the lighting on my screen. I have run my McAfee Anti-Virus as well as my Desktop Maestro, plus I downloaded and ran the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. (I found the latter after Googling "Somefox," which is also how I found this (Tech Support Guy) site.) The Somefox entry is still in my Administrative e Tools panel and I assume that, even after running the three aforementioned programs, if I were to re-enable it and restart my laptop, the shield and the popups would return.

Some others using this site have asked for help with this Somefox problem. I read the threads following their entries, but I have started a new thread because I do not understand some of the technicalities related to implementing the proposed solutions; such as how to send a log file to Tech Support Guy after running HijackThis (which I don't know anything about either).

I am running VISTA, Internet Explorer, and Earthlink on a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop, which is about a year old. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to know when someone comes online to assist me with this problem, but as a precaution, my e-mail address is [email protected] and my Skype name is david.davenport6 - I've been here in Germany since 29 August 08 and I'll be here til the end of July 09. I don't have the literature with me that came with my laptop. But, if someone needs me to look something up that can be found on my laptop (such as what version of Windows I'm running(?)), or download something (such as HijackThis), or send a log file to the site, given sufficiently detailed guidance, I can do those things, and more.

There could be issues with my laptop other than Somefox, but I don't know specifically what they would be. Perhaps the HijackThis program would divulge them.

Thanks,
    David

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice