1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Someone has to answer? I have 4 stripped fan screws on my chassis fan?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kenster102.5, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kenster102.5

Kenster102.5 Thread Starter

I have a Coolermaster 120mm UV LED Fan, and it came with these wide screws but, the fan itself doesn't have threaded holes they were just smooth, so you really had the press hard and turn hard to get them in properly, so inevitably I stripped all four of them. I was thinking about getting a new fan, since these aren't very powerful fans either. I am willing to buy a Grab-it removal kit for my screws, but I am worried about metal shavings from using the filing bit that comes with the kit. I can remove my motherboard tray, but I am still worried about metal shavings, what precautions should I take?

I am also think about breaking the holes with a screw driver so then I don't need to worry about metal shavings, but it doesn't seem that practical.
    Have a nice day
    Ken

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

All case fans that I have ever seen come that way. The screws are self-tapping. From what I can ascertain, you now have rounded off the heads of the screws. Is that correct?

3. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

The size of the holes and scews for all the 120mm case fans are the same Ken. Just screw them in mate. They can feel tight sometimes but no metal shavings will be necessary. Max

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

From what you are describing I take it you are going to drill the screws, and then use something like an "easy-out" to insert in the hole you drill to back the screw out.

If so, just get a shop vac and get someone to hold the wand on the shop vac as close to the screw as possible while you are drilling and all the filings should be pulled into the shop vac.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Putting grease on the drill bit works pretty well for collecting metal shavings.

6. Kenster102.5

Yes, the kit has a piece which will drill out a new hole, so that the removing bit can turn the screw.

7. Mcbee

Mcbee

Another option is to use a drill bit which is the same size as the screw, then when you drill through the screw head it will fall off. Then remove fan with screw bodies still in it.

8. Kenster102.5

Well I kinda got impatient so, I started taking out the screws and was able to take out 3 until I got to the damaged one. I tried and tried to get the last screw out with my screwdriver but it was making worse. But I couldn't leave it hanging there, and didn't want to wait until my mom came home. I got a pair of needle nose pliers, started going at the corner of the fan, and after ripping small chunks of the plastic out of the corner, I was finally able to pull the screw out. I then switched it over to the other side which was the proper side, and screwed the fan down again with two screws. I am surprised how tough the plastic is, and how I didn't bend the fan out of shape. Everything is running smoothly minus one corner. I will get a new fan down the road, but this one works still.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757197

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice