1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Someone is adding things to my address book

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Groggy, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Groggy

Groggy Thread Starter

I have the McAffee suite of security tools and I have used their Spamblocker to eliminate most of the junk (and worse) that comes in to e-mail. The trick I use to to limit incoming mail to only those names in my personal address book. I find that, periodically, some weird names appear that I did not put there. Among other things, the "@" symbol is listed as one of my friends. Other, full names, also appear. I'd appreciate knowing if anyone else shares this problem, or knows how I can stop it from happening. I've attached a log of HIJACK This that was made today.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

I wonder if spamdelete is doing that?

Run HJT again and put a check in the following:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: B4C - {E6A313E7-EBB7-4970-9343-3D2E862E01AF} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {77701e16-9bfe-4b63-a5b4-7bd156758a37} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: IeCaptureBho Object - {7c1ce531-09e9-4fc5-9803-1c2956615786} - (no file)

Close all applications and browser windows before you click "fix checked".

3. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

some programs that have access to your addressbook would sometimes add things in there

some programs do it so you can get ads fron their sponsers and parteners

some spyware will also do it. but you don't seem infected.

did someone ever send you like a mp3 or image that when you opened it, you got some wierd error message but the pic still opened? if so then you may have goten a trojan at that time and someone was able to run a keylogger on your system. i have seen many and worked with a few that will record keystrokes and when it runs, the virus scans are crippled and unable to do anything to it.

4. Groggy

Groggy Thread Starter

Thanks CyberTech: I did that. I'll keep an eye on it see if it still happens

5. Groggy

Groggy Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. I don't specifically remember the incident you describe, but it may have happened long ago...and I just don't recall. Meanwhile, I'm trying deleting the HIHACK entries suggested by CyberTech and I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for your repsonse.

6. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!