1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Someone is using my computer!!!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by BagelAnne, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BagelAnne

BagelAnne Thread Starter

I just finished connecting a network in a small office.
    I have 2 XP nodes and 2 with win98
    I am using one of the XP machines to connect to the internet via phone line. The other computers access the internet through that XP machine.
    All machines have Norton antivirus, Spybot and Adaware.
    The Online computer has WinXP firewall installed.

Two hours after this netwrok was set up, I got an email CC to my computer and sent by my computer (see attached) I did not sent this.
    Please tell me what is going on and how to stop it.

----- Original Message -----
    Cc: <My computer [email protected] isp address.net>
    Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2005 3:19 PM
    Subject: Save hundreds on OEM software!

> save money, buy your computer software from us.
    >
    > http://||||.kamkbfhnjf.info/?p8r.XGVY0t0iHpV
    >
    >
    > 2e3p7d1360495J6vPE7Ok friend.No you can't.There was a great deal of
    > fussing to be done before Mr. Summers declared the lottery open.181367278

2. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

3. BagelAnne

BagelAnne Thread Starter

Here is my log. Thanks for looking at it.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
    Scan saved at 5:45:04 PM, on 1/28/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\sistray.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\khooker.exe
    C:\Program Files\Wireless 11Mbps Network\XPFix.exe
    C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Exif Launcher\QuickDCF.exe
    C:\Program Files\USA Datanet Internet Portal\Netsurf.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spider.exe
    C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.usadatanet.net
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.usadatanet.net
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.usadatanet.net
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS Tray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\sistray.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS KHooker] C:\WINDOWS\System32\khooker.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiSUSBRG] C:\WINDOWS\sisUSBrg.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alice] C:\Program Files\Wireless 11Mbps Network\XPFix.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HTpatch] C:\WINDOWS\htpatch.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - Global Startup: Exif Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Exif Launcher\QuickDCF.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004033001/housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
    O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
    O23 - Service: SmartLinkService - Unknown - slserv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
    O23 - Service: SymWMI Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

5. BagelAnne

BagelAnne Thread Starter

Byteman, you were right. I used stinger and there was the Nachi worm.
    Thank you for suggesting it.
    Why didn't Norton pick it up?

6. Byteman

hi, Well perhaps it is a newer variant that Norton has not been updated for. Is your subscription active? The alerts for expiration time can be shut off. Usually you see the subscription date when you run Live Update to get the latest updates.... Good work!

You see, Hijackthis doesn't find many things, too.

NO antivirus or antispyware program finds everything, and many can find but not clean, which is just about as bad.

You have to use a variety of tools to be sure. If you are pretty sure something is wonky, scan with them until it is found.

Online scanning is a great way to double check against Norton or any antivirus program running locally. Then, the famous mixed removal tools like Stinger are always carrying the latest detections and are good to keep around. Stinger issues newer versions, not updates...that is, you should look at that same URL for a newer build, I think you have to download it anew, but maybe I missed a place to load the latest files into Stinger.

7. BagelAnne

BagelAnne Thread Starter

Thanks again!

8. Byteman

Hi, You are very welcome! (y) If you feel that the problem is solved, you can mark your thread solved using the Thread Tools button at top of the page, I can't do it.

You may still reply to your thread if it is marked solved.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!