1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Someone Please Help! Windows XP Lost Key For Activation But Have Original CD, HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ChristianM, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristianM

ChristianM Thread Starter

Like a dumba** I misplaced my box which had my key in it. I did not register my
    product. My roommate threw my box away on accident. I formatted my computer last
    night and when it asked me to enter a key, I realized I didnt have it. Now my computer
    is STUCK at that screen until I can enter the key. First thing I want to ask, is
    WHY Microsoft does not place the key ON the CD itself. I know I am not the first
    one to have this problem. It would be much more convenient if it was on there.
    Secondly, how can I find out what the Key is or do I just have to pay another 100
    dollars for a new key? Someone please help me without having to spend money I do
    not have.

2. 1069

Hi and welcome to TSG :),

Sometimes you will find the 25 character key on the side / back of the casing on a Microsoft sticker.

Failing that a phone call to Microsoft to explain may get you a replacement - have the receipt to hand if you still have it otherwise you may well need some persuasive powers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice