Someone Please Help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xdivadjx

Computer Problem:

I Done a Norton Anti Virus update yesterday. after it finished it Told me to press ok to restart my computer for the new updates to take effect.

I pressed ok.

Computer restarted itself and as it turned back on a black screen with white writing come up and said

“Sorry for the inconvenience but your computer was not shut down properly”

Then there was something about a power failure or the reset button being pressed.

It gave me the option to start my computer in

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Start windows normally

i tried every option of the safe modes and they all come up with:

(0) disk (0) rdisk (0) p? (1) WINDOWS/System32/ about 20 times with file names ending in .SYS

I tried to run windows normally but as it gets to the Windows XP page, a blue screen comes up with white writing, not even for a split second, so quick I cant even read what it says, then my computer restarts.

Someone please help

When you get the page in safe mode with the 20+ entries it appears to hang sometimes but should move on if you wait a few minutes.
If you can get in then you need to remove the offending update (you may have to uninstall Norton, although sometimes you aren't allowed to in safe mode), however just remove what you can and hopefully it should boot normally next time.

xdivadjx

stevecook said:
When you get the page in safe mode with the 20+ entries it appears to hang sometimes but should move on if you wait a few minutes.
If you can get in then you need to remove the offending update (you may have to uninstall Norton, although sometimes you aren't allowed to in safe mode), however just remove what you can and hopefully it should boot normally next time.

nope it just restarts my computer after about a minute or so

On the page offering to start in safe mode etc there should be an option for 'last known good................' - that is the option to start in.

xdivadjx

ive just tired that one aswell. gets to the Windows XP loading page then my computer restarts

Beginning to look like a repair install of XP is called for, have you got the Windows XP disk?

If you can get to Safe Mode with Command Prompt, try this:

Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials if needed.

Type the following command at a command prompt,

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and then press ENTER

Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state before the update that caused the problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.