1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Someone Stealing My Service ???

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BearKiller, Apr 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BearKiller

BearKiller Thread Starter

We have a desktop PC with Windows 7.

We have DISH satellite internet service.

The desktop is hardwired to a wireless router; router says CISCO Linkskys E2500.

The reason for the wireless is all the little tech-toys the wife is always fiddling with; laptop, smart-phone, Kindle, I-Pad, etc.

Our situation :
    For the last several months, about mid-month, we have been getting an e-mail notice from DISH informing us that we have used up our entire allotment of service for the month and that service will become very slow and sporadic for the duration of the month --- and it does, to the point that it takes forever to load a page.

I have addressed this concern a couple times with our local DISH technician and he says that, unless we are constantly "gaming" or watching lots of NET-TV --- neither of which we ever do, that there is no way that we could even come close to using up our package.

He did say,however, that in 99% of such cases he has dealt with, someone is pirating the wireless and hogging up all the service.

We live in the middle of seven acres of property and others more knowledgeable than I say that it would not be likely that anyone could tap into our wireless at that distance.

1. Is it possible that someone could indeed be tapping in on our wireless ?

2. Is it possible this thievery could be coming through the internet instead of the wireless ?

3. What are the other possible reasons for our service getting used up so quickly ?

4. If it is someone pirating our service, how do I stop them ?

5. If I were to dis-connect house-current from the router whenever we were not using it, would that put a stop to anyone else using it at those times ?

6. If all else fails, can I connect the desktop straight into the modem, bypassing and disabling the router ?

Sorry for so many questions.

I am not tech-knowledgeable at all; so please answer accordingly.

Thanks for reading. :)

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    1. It may be possible. A neighbor intent on using your service may be able to use a high gain directional WiFi antenna to get a usable signal out of your router.

2. Yes. If some hackers managed to put a virus on any of your computers, they could be using it as a server to exchange files.

3. One possibility is that one or more devices are doing automatic updates of their installed software and eating up your bandwidth. Others here may offer other possible sources.

4. Make sure you are using WPA encryption for your WiFi connections and use a long encryption key that can not easily be guessed. Check your computers for any viruses.

5. Yes

6. Yes, it would help. If you have a hacked computer, it still might generate a lot of traffic.

How much bandwidth are you talking about?

Does your router have any logging ability to keep track of the total amount of traffic that has passed through it since a given time? Checking the numbers on a regular basis might give you a clue as to when the high traffic is being generated.

3. BearKiller

1._ "Bandwidth" is the amount of our service package, right ?
    I will have to wait until the wife is home so she can look up this information.
    I think we have the mid-grade package; not the cheapest and not the most expensive.

2._I really don't know whether it has this capability or not.
    I am assuming if this capability were available, then I would go into "properties" or somesuch to read it, right ?

I really appreciate you answering my questions.

4. BearKiller

We do have some very questionable neighbors; one end of our property adjoins a bunch of low-rent trailers.

If a neighbor were doing this, they would have to have figured out our password, right ?

Or can this be done without a password ?

Thanks. :)

5. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Just a thought,
    Log into the router and insure that "Guest Access" is disabled or if you are using the guest access that your not using the default password.

Attached Files:

6. renegade600

renegade600

you could also start tracking your usage on mydish.com and see if you can pinpoint when there is an increase of data usage. You should check each device's data usage to see how much they are using.

One thing to note, I have one android phone, and constantly use 1.5-1.9 gigs a month just reading news sites, emails and updates - never watch any videos on it. .

7. BearKiller

How do I find that example you pictured ? :how do I log into the router ?

When I go to "devices and printers", it does not show the router; it does show something that says "PinkCedar" and I have no idea what that is.

In the "all programs", there is "Cisco Connect" ; when I right-click on that and select "properties" I get a multi-tabbed box but nothing seems to have anything to do with the router.

I can't even find where to change the password.

8. BearKiller

Thank you.

I was not aware that we could track usage on DISH.

When the wife gets home (she has the keys to that kingdom), I will check this out.

9. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

This is if everything is default.
    Open Internet Explorer and in the address bar type: 192.168.1.1 (press enter)
    There is no username and admin is the default password.

If "admin" does not work, try using the wireless security key as the password.

10. Johnny2K

Johnny2K

Can't the technician help out on this? Ask him how to get into the router and at least change all passwords/keys.

11. mdejess

mdejess Banned

Stealing your online access is certainly possible and actually being done by unscrupulous people, and of course by the intelligence community for the pre-emptive security of society -- and they don't have to prevent you from using your access.

One group of people who can and will do it are the technicians of the access supplying company: they can schedule several like perhaps 50 subscribers, so that every fraction of a day they attack one subscriber for say 6 hours, after 6 hours then another subscriber: in this way no victim will complain too persistently, since most subscribers know that if you just put off your access for some hours and try later, often the socalled trouble will clear up, and thus the company technicians get to use for free internet access.

12. BearKiller

mdejess,
    That is sad but very true and the part about the technicians would be difficult to prove.

On a similar note, a friend and his wife, who are about as tech-ignorant as myself, got themselves matching cell-phones from a local store that sold the service and the phones; I can't remember exactly which brand-name service it was and I think this particular store offered more than one.
    After they got their new phones, it became evident that their usage-time was disappearing a lot quicker than it should.
    They were fortunate to have a relative who is quite intelligent about such things and he was able to discover that the guy that set up their service "cloned" their phones (whatever on earth that means) and was using their service for free.

Thanks for the information. :)

13. BearKiller

Okay, I had the wife dig up her password and log on to our mydish account.

I clicked "my internet" and found out that we are paying for 5GB of "off peak" and 5GB of "anytime"

I have no idea if these amounts are a lot or very little; are these amounts plenty for normal usage or are they inadequate ?

Concerning the quoted sentence above, how do I measure each devices usage ?

In my normal day-to-day usage, what can I do to prevent something I may or may not be doing simply due to my dumbness from inadvertently eating up our service ? --- I guess what I am trying to say is What bad habits or neglectful acts eat up bandwidth ?

14. Johnny2K

Johnny2K

I guess there is your answer, it's a shame you can't get cable internet. I average about 5GB per day overall at a flat rate, I could triple that and still pay the same.

15. BearKiller

Cable service quality (and competition) is directly connected to location.

We live in a very rural area of the 49th least desirable state (at least according to what I heard on the news); thus, we don't have several choices of cable to choose from; at least we do have the choice of ONE cable provider; many areas of the county can't get cable no matter how much money they are willing to pay --- it just isn't there.

That being said, the reason we switched to satellite was because we were very dissatisfied with cable (which we had been using for several years.

In our case, DISH has thus far been way ahead of cable; our DISH service when it is at it's slowest is better than the cable we can get is at it's best, plus it is not down nearly so often.

Those unfortunate enough to live in the next county over have things a lot worse than we do; the only cable/telephone service they can get is provided by whatever company it is that uses that old green antique pickup truck in their advertisements; none of them I talk to has anything good to say about the service they get --- phone, internet, or TV --- , and for many of them, none of the satellite companies will provide service in their area, which gives the solitary source of these services no incentive whatsoever to improve things due to a complete lack of competition.

Thanks for providing your usage information for comparison. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice