1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Someone uses my Internet connection...

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by LorraineT, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LorraineT

LorraineT Thread Starter

I suspect that someone uses my username and password to connect to the net.
    Can my ISP know who is he (tel.number) even if he is using a firewall and don't let him
    or the best solution is to change often my password
    (and don't ask them these questions)?

[I must say that this doesn't cost me money because in the area I live the bill goes to the telephone owner by the local company but he just doesn't pay the standard charge to the ISP for the Internet access]
    :(

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

change your password.

3. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

They probably could look up the numbers of people that have dialed that number but I guarantee you they won't, and there is no need for it.

What makes you think someone is using your internet connection?
    Changing your password may stop him. If not, he may have hacked into your computer or installed a keylogger and we can give you further instructions.

4. LorraineT

LorraineT Thread Starter

I don't use my PC late at night but recently for three days that I tried to connect about 11-12 pm I could not...
    In the morning and all day everything's fine and this was first time in two years that happened.
    I changed my password and I will see...
    (I use updated Antivirus,Firewall and Adaware 6)

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Lorraine
    Welcome to TSG!
    There is a good possibility that the ISP may be doing maintenance on the Server off hours or may have certian restrictions for access by time periods. It will not hurt to change your Password if you suspect a problem but you should also consult your ISP with what you are experiencing.

Let us know what you find out.

Dave

6. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

They may be updating their cache or DNS or something at night, and a local ISP here also has a less expensive limited plan, where you can only get on the internet from 9-8, although your ISP would probably notify you before there was a change in your service.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!