1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

someone's hacking my wi-fi?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DiGiTY, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DiGiTY

DiGiTY Thread Starter

it looks like somebody in my apartment building is mucking with my wireless network (WPA/TKIP). my wired static IP desktop is getting IP conflict error notifications (no, its IP is not in the DHCP range) and my laptops can't get IPs properly from the router's DHCP server (it gets an IP then I get IP conflict error also, OS X & Windows). I checked router's LAN page and all IPs in the DHCP range were taken up my unknown/bogus MAC addresses. so both static and dhcp and both wired and wireless devices are affected.

Rebooted the router and the same thing happened instantly. Changed routers and all the same problems happened again (D-Link DIR-655 to Linksys WRT54G w/ DD-WRT 2.4).

So I'm pretty certain someone's got it in for my wi-fi. I disabled wireless and turned off dhcp server and everything is working fine now. I obviously need those back on though.

how do I shake this guy and better secure my wi-fi without having to change too much of the configuration (especially the IP schema)???

TIA

P.S. - Unfortunately I must continue to use WPA/TKIP because that's the highest security technology a device on my network supports

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    WPA is fine. Change the passphrase. Use 8+ upper and lower case letters and numbers mixed (no dictionary words) and it should take your friend 5 or 6 months on a super computer to crack in again.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you broadcasting the router's name? If so, I'd turn that off.

Oh, and it looks like a moderator edited your language in your first post.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd increase the size of the WPA key, 20 characters is generally considered to be the minimum "really secure" key.

WPA Key Generator

Here's a quote from that page:

5. DiGiTY

DiGiTY Thread Starter

thanx everyone. i'll turn off broadcasting and use 63 characters.

i thought mucking was edited, wouldn't imagine the other word be edited. i get the message either way. my bad

6. DiGiTY

DiGiTY Thread Starter

well, now i'm curious how did this person (could be a female, seattle women are actually tech savy) actually got through my security and blacked out my dhcp and IPs!?

a piece of info i left out; i did have the dd-wrt router repeating my main WAP so I could share my Internet with anyone around who wanted free Internet (the repeating WAP was purposely unsecured and obviously had a totally different subnet than my main network). The name of my free gift was "Leave Iraq Alone". maybe the ssid name pissed off someone and they were able to get access to my main router through this public router. or maybe all this is just a lesson to not be so generous and giving.... either way, i'm curious how they were able to do it... anyone have any idea?

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Why would you intentionally want to share your internet :eek: Since you are liable for anyone downloading whatever they download :eek: you could find yourself in a heap of trouble.

8. DiGiTY

DiGiTY Thread Starter

yeah, but i did it anyway.

anyone have any idea how it was done? open public wap exposing my LAN IP schema?

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It would depend on how you configured the network. If you didn't do it properly, it would be like an unlocked door, which I suspect is what happened.

There's a reason that network security analysts make good money, it's not as easy as it looks. ;)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice