1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Something easy... I can't figure it out!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by davidrhare, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davidrhare

davidrhare Thread Starter

I'm trying to establish a VPN from my clients office to his home! He has a netgear router, broadband connection on each end. I can establish remote management on the router and communicate with it from his home, but I can't seem to get onto his network.. what am I forgetting or doing wrong???

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

How are the server and client configured.

What error message are you getting.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Also what operating systems are on the server and clients.

4. malcb

malcb

If you can access the router you might now need to set up port forwarding, or DMZ if you want all traffic to get through.

I think VPN will only pass some protocalls, perhaps not NETBIOS?

My next step would be being able to ping the target computer.

Malcolm

5. 5mi11er

5mi11er

This sounds a bit backward, usually one VPN's from home into the office network. In order to do the opposite, the home location needs to have something capable of hosting a VPN connection from a client, this is normally called a VPN server, but with all the SOHO options out there, I wouldn't be suprised if the broadband box had that ability.

If a VPN server of any sort is available at the home, then it's just a matter of configuring the VPN server software and any firewalls that lie between the two endpoints (client and server). Note the office router could be a client...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269151

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice