1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

something has happened to my sound on windows media player

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by puffinstuff, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. puffinstuff

puffinstuff Thread Starter

I suddenly do not get any sound on windows media when playing back movies and my music when i try to play comes up with an error
    Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.
    When i go into ms web help it comes up with error code C00D11BA. Can anyone suggest why this is happening. It says that there may be a problem with Drivers but I'm not sure why this has suddenly happened. I'm running windows XP. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

2. Flags

Flags

3. puffinstuff

I have tried some of what you suggest. The problem is that when i look at the device manager there are yellow exclaimation marks in all the drop downs under sound video and game controllers. When i double click on thee i get the note "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"
    The device identified when i ran Belarc advisor is Realtek AC'97 Audio. Do you have any ideas about why i am suddenly getting this problem and where it may be originating from.

4. Flags

Flags

Did you reinstall XP lately?

You are missing drivers for your sound card.

You should go to your motherboard maker's site and download the Chipset and Audio drivers. Install the chipset drivers first, then the Audio drivers.

It always helps when you post your Computer name, OS, SP1 or 2, amt. of RAM, etc.
    For instance, if you had posted your computer's name, I could have gone to their site and pointed you to the drivers you need.

5. puffinstuff

Hi Flags,
    thanks for offering your help with this. I've run Belarc advisor and enclosed the following information. Let me know if it helps. I have not recently reinstalled XP.

MotherBoard: Winfast 761GXK8MB
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    processor:
    2.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
    256 kilobyte primary memory cache
    2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    960 Megabytes Installed Memory

6. Flags

Flags

Is this an off-the-shelf machine, i.e. Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.?
    If not, what is the NAME and Model no. on the motherboard, i.e. PCChips, Biostar, Leadtek?
    You will have to take the side off the PC to find this info only if it is not an off the shelf machine.

7. puffinstuff

I thought the manufacturer and model number was Winfast as mentioned in my last post. I opened up the machine and all i could see was this name. Should i be looking for something else? Grateful for any advice.

puffinstuff

8. Megabite

Megabite

9. puffinstuff

have tried this but get the same error message with code C00D11BA. Any other suggestions as what might be causing this.

puffinstuff

10. Flags

Flags

puff: Here is a site that has suggestion to fix your problem:
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/chrisl/articles/10725.aspx

I need to know the name of your machine. Dell? Gateway? HP? Systemax? Aspire?
    Or is it a Custom Build?
    If you can find the name of the Chipset, it would help also. Could be Nvidia, Intel, Via.
    I think besides the sound drivers, you are missing the chipset drivers also.
    I don't know how that could happen, but sometimes they get corrupted and have to be reinstalled.

11. puffinstuff

excuse my ignorance but is the chipset the processor and if so it is 2.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64. Does this help? let me know.

thanx

12. Flags

Flags

13. puffinstuff

have tried this but no luck. The thing is that when i try and troubleshoot the problem in device manager nothing happens. Any other suggestions to resolving this frustrating problem.

thanks

14. frankjohn

frankjohn

Go to major geeks . com & type in windowd media

15. frankjohn

frankjohn

Sorry windows media

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice