1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

something installed from audio cd

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by the red guy, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. the red guy

the red guy Thread Starter

wasn't sure which section to put this in but hope someone can advise..
    I just put a cd into my drive to listen to( "one by one" by the foo fighters-original disk) a box flashed on for a couple of seconds appearing to be downloading something,the album then started playing but via a different player whose skin appeared on screen(normally my default is windows media player).
    the only thing i can find out is that there is a new install.log and unwise.exe icons showing on my system.the install.log mentions something called skins.exe which i did a search for and it shows as having been created on todays date,the entry reading skin.exe-34F111F1.pf.
    on the back of the cd cover it states" the music contained on this disc is playable on pc's (windows) by software also contained on this disc". i'm presuming some type of audio player has been installed but shouldn't it give me an option to install or decline before it starts doing so? any info would be appreciated
    thanks.

2. Neamh

Neamh

I've had that happen before with another CD - believe me, it annoyed the hell out of me that I'd not been given a choice, but to play it on my pc, i had no choice but to install the software it seemed.

Run your virus scanner through the added files if you feel concerned and perhaps run hijack this through as well and post your log, just to be safe - but i do think it's just the music companies software and shouldn't be a major issue ( in theory )

3. the red guy

the red guy Thread Starter

Thanks Neamh,

i have done a full scan with my up to date NAV.as it loaded from the original audio cd i don't think it is anything malicious but possibly part of the copy protection.It doesn't seem right that it can just install something without permission, i wouldn't have played it if i had known.

4. Neamh

Neamh

check out who the company is that made the cd, like warner music for example, track down their web site and give them some feedback just to be a pain ;) they might not have asked for it, but you didn't ask for their software either hehe . Just a simple note suggesting a popup warning when you go to play it on your pc saying that due to blah blah blah, this disc requires this program to run on your pc, to proceed click ok then at least it gives the user an idea of what they're doing.

Stuff like that is no better than the junk piled into crack packages and similar that often seem to be what people get caught out with cause they open their ports to any number of nasties concealed underneath.

sometimes living in a paranoid society has it's advantages ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice