1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Something is preventing my disc drives from reading files on discs...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aecolangeli, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aecolangeli

aecolangeli Thread Starter

I'm at the end of my rope.

A while back (don't know exactly when; don't use the drives that often), my disc drives stopped working. I put in any disc, and it blinks and whirs and clicks, and the icon in My Computer changes to the "there's a disc in here" icon, but nothing else happens. When I double-click the icon, it just brings up an empty folder, like there's just nothing there. When I double-click it when the drive is empty, it asks for a disc, so it recognizes when a disc is present, just not what's on it. Something's stopping it.

It's not the drive or the drivers. I've tried the discs (both data CDs and video DVDs) in other machines, and I've tried an external drive on this machine. The drive works on other machines just fine, but the same exact problem happens when it's hooked up to this computer. What's more, I don't think images mounted on virtual drives are being recognized anymore, either.

I've uninstalled pretty much everything past the last date I know the drive was working for sure (early April), but no go. I've also tried updating all the drivers. I would try System Restore, but it's not working (something about a drive error). I've put in a Vista installation disc to try booting from, and it works perfectly when I do that. That same disc gets the same treatment when I try opening it up in My Computer. Something that's loading with Windows is interfering with my computer's disc-reading procedure, and I'd really like to know what it is so I can get rid of it.

I've seen this problem when searching on all operating systems from as early as 2004. They might not all be this exact problem, but still, I would think somebody would have figured it out. I've tried getting rid of the upper and lower filters in the registry in addition to a myriad of other copy-and-paste solutions, and none of them have worked.

Some specs - please tell me if I need to provide anything else.

Dell Vostro 1520 laptop running Windows Vista Business Edition 32-Bit Service Pack 2. Haven't even had it one year.

PLDS DVD+-RW DS-8A3S ATA Device --- Drivers up-to-date.
    QVSZG CDMZGLY SCSI CdRom Device --- Drivers up-to-date.

One last thing: While messing around with an artificial disc drive with PowerISO, I got it to give me an error while trying to run the file that the mounted image contained. It said something about Program Manager not allowing it. Don't know if that's relevant or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, but I'd really rather not hear "time to get a new drive" again. Like I said, NO drive works right when it's hooked up to this machine.

Thank you.

2. iammikerodriguez

iammikerodriguez

try uninstalling the current drivers in device manager, and letting windows update search for the driver automatically . if not, check on the computer's manufacturers website and download previous drivers (if available), if not, just install the up to date driver again.

3. aecolangeli

aecolangeli Thread Starter

Didn't work, sadly. The devises uninstalled and reinstalled just fine, and Dell's website had the drive's firmware available. I already had the latest version, but I installed it and rebooted anyway. Still, the problem persists. Bummer. I couldn't find any earlier versions available anywhere. Other ideas?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/946122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice