1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Something killed my computer

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by RangerJ, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RangerJ

RangerJ Thread Starter

Several days ago, mid afternoon (I had used the computer a few times earlier) I went to use the computer and found the screen saver to be totally red, with two or three poorly written paragraphs covering my icons. It said I needed to buy some kind of security software (_____ scan or scan ____) for $59.95 because I was infected with something or other. It had seized control of the computer and I kept getting a pop up, bottom right saying the computer was infected. I couldnt run Norton's [ Thanks, Symantec - good job. NOT] I could get into Windows Explorer but couldnt find any file by the ____ scan name. I couldnt find it on the Conrol Panel remove files page, either. I could close the popup and change windows or someting, but only for a second, literally, before it seized up again. When the popup was up, nothing worked.

I eventually decided to switch to my wife's setup and it wasn't infected so I deleted mine.

That worked for a day or so and finally the whole computer stopped working. Using Safe Mode or normal had about the same result. It crawled - maybe fifteen or twenty minutes to change from one restore window to the next. I finally got to a page where I was supposed to check for drivers. None were on the page.

Long story short, even trying to boot with the CD didnt work. Nothing worked. What's the matter? Is my hard drive dead, my processor dead, or what? I almost bought another computer but I can replace the hard drive if thats it. I just dont want to waste money...

Thank you for your support.

2. kenny111111

kenny111111

theres a way to get into the recovery partition on that pc, you will lose all data try rebooting and start tapping the f10 key...if that don't work try holding the f10 key down..this will take it back to like the day you bought it, and it won't cost a nickle...

good luck

3. RangerJ

RangerJ Thread Starter

I'll try it right away...

4. RangerJ

RangerJ Thread Starter

Didnt work.

I tried it alone. I tried it with the boot disk I got with the computer. I tried it with the restore disk I made when I got it. It gets as far as the Windows bar graph, then the disk drive stops and the screen goes black.

Does it sound like the hard drive?

I just let it sit a long time. First the GATEWAY logo came up, then 'select language' window, I selected English and it went black. Long time later. It wants me to insert my system disk, then select a driver. The disk doesnt spin. None of the many files I see and select have any data in them. I finally give up on the drivers and go to NEXT. This brings up a helpful looking screen with links to System Restore, Complete Restore. I push Recovery Manager, minutes later, nothing has changed...

5. kenny111111

kenny111111

try again, get to the recovery manager and let it sit a while, sounds like its moving real slow....

sounds like a little progress.

good luck

6. RangerJ

RangerJ Thread Starter

Kenny:
    After a lot of waiting, I eventually got the computer to where it would actually bood up and run. (Note: during this time, there was no sound from the HD (until I finally got to the end of the setup) or CD drive (after the first few secondes). For the past two days it has crashed repeatedly, sometimes perpetually restarting, first thing in the morning. After a while, it runs close to flawlessly. I took my brother's advice and reformated the HD. I dont know that it did anything, but it did delete a bunch of superfluous debris on the HD and any last vestages of a virus.

I'm thinking now that it might be my CD drive. Maybe getting sticky or something. Once it 'warms up' it seems ok.

It could also be the BIOS (the blue screen says it's not fully A*** compliant - I forget the letters. It might be that I have two things at once....

7. kenny111111

kenny111111

ok,
    great news..get windows up to date with all important updates, if the blue screening continues, create a new post with all the data you can provide....

everytime you bluesceen it should create a log....C:/windows/minidump....copy and paste the latest one after you are up to date with microsoft....

good luck

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice