Something must be deleted!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TammyMc

I am using Windows XP. A few days ago when I left home at lunch everything was working fine. When I returned home from work the first thing I noticed was that my sound would not work. Then the computer would not shut down. I had to turn it off manually and when I turned it back on I had the same message that something was missing or corrupt. I ended up having to do a nondestructive restoration. Over the past few days as we try to use programs it will tell us that some components are missing or can't configure or to try to setup where originally installed. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall several things but most of my programs are not even showing up in the add/remove program area. I have successfully reinstalled AOL 8.0 and downloaded a couple of other things that was on my computer but I can't reinstall Word, my Print Shop is not on here to uninstall and it will not let me reinstall. Someone told me to put my Windows XP cd back in and try to install missing components but XP does not come w/a CD if it was preinstalled on your system. Also, all of my font is in italics. I have also tried to restore to earlier point. No luck. Can I download a service pack or something to fix this? Please help. This has been VERY frustrating. I appreciate anything you can tell me.:(

To be honest with you I don't have a lot of hope for this, particularly as you have already tried a "System Restore" as I understand it. It sounds rather like either the registry or the hard drive is corrupt.

You might first try this: go to Start>Run and enter:

sfc /scannow

Hopefully you won't be prompted for a CD. If any "system" files are missing or corrupt, sfc will detect it and try to replace them from other folders on the drive.

You can also check the local disk for errors by going to My Computer and right clicking on it and selecting Properties > Tools > Error Checking.

I wouldn't try downloading SP1, but you could order it from Microsoft. Whether it will make things better or worse is a real gamble.

TammyMc

Thanks for the help. I tried to go to start/run and then typed in sfc/scannow and it says not found. I also went to properties on my computer and do not have a Tools tab.

TammyMc

I tried the scan thing again and a box pops up and goes away so fast I can't see what it is. Sounds like this is going to be more than I can handle. I suppose the best thing to do is to take it in to the store and let the techs tackle this. I appreciate your help and if something else comes to mind please let me know. I did the nondestructive restoration by pressing F10 or F11 (can't recall which) when starting up. This is the second time I have had to do this and on the first occasion we ended up having to to the destructive restoration. Been a pain in the rear!! Again, thanks.

You're welcome for the effort. It sounds like you did a "system restore" as that would be the only similar option available in that manner.

sfc /scannow should have come up with a progress meter and taken at least 5 to 10 minutes to complete. However, if you had other Windows open, it may have flashed and disappeared behind those windows. It could be running right now.

It sounds like a virus or a hardware failure "eating up" your system.

I would first check for viruses. Then I would check the hard disks. Also try to use system restore.

If all else fails, reinstall the operating system.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online