1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

something screwy is up...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by crazyclown13, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crazyclown13

crazyclown13 Thread Starter

okay my comp just started acting really screwy. It was working fine till I just booted it up and Adwatch asked me if i wanted to block or unblock a bunch of regkeys or something. I hit allow, since i thought it was asking about some boot up programs but in hindsight thats probably what messed it up. I decided to reboot and now NONE of the shortcuts are showing their actual icon and none of them work. i can browse to my computer but thats about it. Please Help, my comp is unuseable. I browsed to the adaware folder and tried to click on the adaware icon to start it, but the exe didnt have the proper icon and when i double clicked it doesnt open and it goes a little transparent (like a hidden file)... is this a virus??!?! what can I do? thanks

P.S. I've discovered it basically can't find any of the programs from the links, so on startup nothing starts up. luckily for some reason the "internet" link in the start menu (firefox) works. when i hit a shortcut it gives me this:

Windows cannot open this file
    File: ...
    To open this file windows needs to know what program created it. blah blah.

2. Augie65

Augie65

Did you try a system restore to an earlier date?
    You can start it from:
    Start> Run> type:
    c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe then OK.

3. crazyclown13

yes i just tried it... it didnt seem to change anything. my comp dual boots w/ linux, will that be a problem? if i need to reinstall windows or something, will it still be possible? please help, I really appreciate it

4. crazyclown13

Update: I've done now:
    -Adaware SE Professional: updated and scanned, some stuff found, nothing serious but all deleted
    -Mcafee Virusscan: updated and scanned, nothing found
    -Spybot Search and Destroy: tried to update, gave "bad checksum" errors
    -A squared trojan remover: updated and scanned, 7 malware found, didnt fix anything tho
    -picked up a cd from my universities tech department, had Mcafee clean boot on there, and this scanned for a while and it found 0 infected files (although it said it could not read some folders)

I also tried system restore, twice yesterday and once just now for a date that it was working at. Nothing.

Again the symptoms are: all the shortcut links dont work, and all startup programs dont start. shortcut icons are all missing. the shortcut in the start menu for internet (firefox) works. I can start programs by clicking on a shortcut, after it cant find it, I choose "select from a list", then browse, find the program, and it works.

Is it possible that I found and fixed/deleted the problem, but in the meanwhile it inflicted the damage that is still there?

5. crazyclown13

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice