1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Something wrong with my front usb ports. Help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mormad, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mormad

mormad Thread Starter

Hello everybody

I got this problem with the front usb ports. Sometimes they work fine, other times if I plug something in the front usb port, all of my usb ports on the motherboard (even the ones on the back) just freeze and stop working. My computer is not frozen (windows key works) but everything that is plugged into a usb port stops working. The only way to revive the usb ports is resetting the cmos. Nothing else helps. I dont think its because of the device that I plug in, since sometimes they work fine, other times the usb ports go nuts.

I would really appreciate any advice you can give =)

P.S. I guess I can use the usb ports on the back...but it really bothers me to know whats wrong with the front ones.

Thank you.

2. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer

Do you know how many watts your PSU is? The voltage might be getting too low when you have too many things plugged in that draw power form USB. Are the same devices in them all the time?

A powered usb hub might be a solution.

Do you ever get an error along the lines of "USB controller does not have enough bandwith" or "USB has filled memory allocation" or anything like that?

3. mormad

mormad Thread Starter

Yeah, I actually do have quite a few devices plugged in..a printer, keyboard, mouse, sometimes I plug in my external hd to the back. I have a 530W psu (well it says 534W MAX). My gpu is a GTX 275, I got a quad core cpu and 4gb of ram...couple of fans (just to give you an idea how much power my PC needs and if power is my problem).

Although, I dont understand why does it only happen to front usb ports? if I plug everything in the back of the mobo, I dont have a problem. Do the front usb ports eat more power?

Thanks for such a quick reply :)

No, I never encountered such an error

4. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer

Ok, do you have anything on your computer to monitor voltages from the desktop?

If not, check out http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html the download links are on the right. You want to run that and look at the +5V readings. They have to stay close to 5.0 to provide adequate power.

No problem on the reply. I'm no expert but I'm waiting for some answers myself. =)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice