1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

something wrong with my wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Milky_Tosen, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Milky_Tosen

Milky_Tosen Thread Starter

ok, so i have had this wireless network, it is secure, and the router i have is WRT54G, and everything was working perfectly fine, when all of a sudden the network started kicking me out. I can get back on but from time to time, my speed goes from 54mbps, to 48, 38, 24, and it will go up too, but sometime i just get disconnected. I just don't know what to do. If it helps the Cisco Systems light on the front is lite up as orange.

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

try unplugging the router and modem for 10 seconds.
    plug the modem in 1st, then the router.

i thought the orange lite meant the router is ready, i have the same one.

3. kait35

kait35

Not sure if you have DSL or Cable for ISP but have you isolated the issue to your wireless by just connecting directly to your service modem? If it's DSL it could be a filtering issue. Another thing might be the channel. You could be getting RF interference. Try moving the channel off 6 if that's where it is. I usually go to 7 or 11.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This has the classic signs of wireless interference. First step would be to change channels on the router. For the US, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 as my first choices.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Because of the disconnects I agree with John, but also ...

One time I had the same symptoms (except for the disconnects) when I used a driver directly from Intel (for the integrated 2200bg). Getting the correct driver from my PC manufacturer's web site fixed the problem.

6. Milky_Tosen

Milky_Tosen Thread Starter

yup it was interference

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

[​IMG]

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/685111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice