1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Something's eating my C:\ memory space

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Nyney, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nyney

Nyney Thread Starter

Okay, so I have had this problem for quite a while now. I've solved it in the past by re-installing Windows XP, and everything goes fine for a while after that, until it comes back.

There are fluctuations in the C:\ drive free memory space. Sometimes I'm notified that I don't have enough space, and sometimes it goes up to 1 GB or more, for no reason at all (apparently). Sometimes I notice the number going down before my eyes. While I've been typing this message, it's gone from 1,37 GB to 1,85 MB.

I do not have unnecessary programs installed on C:\, nor do I have a large amount of stuff on Desktop or My Documents.

I've run cleaners that delete temporary files and other such things to get more space, but it just doesn't work anymore. Our computer has 2 separate accounts, for me and my brother. We deleted our dad's account and it freed some more space, but it's going down again. I have tried clearing my brother's temps as well, with the CCleaner, but still no results for the long term.

My question is...is this some kind of virus? Because I can't believe that it keeps coming back, despite having reinstalled WinXP so many times to get rid of it. I have an anti-virus and my computer is, as far as I know, virus and spyware free.

So if it's not a virus, then could it be some sort of hardware-originating problem? I really don't know what to do anymore.

I'd appreciate very much if you could help me out with this.

Thanks in advance,

~ Kitty

2. techshan

techshan

Exactly me too experiencing the same problems in the pc's in my company domain (windows server 2003 sbs standard).In the client pc's are windows xp and antivirus -symantec endpoint protection!

Actions you have taken in solving me too did the exact thing,but in no effect to the pc's.

Anybody can please help?

Thanks a lot !

TECHSHAN,MUSCAT

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

techshan, please start your own thread. Even though it may seem your problems are similar, they need to be helped in separate threads.

Are you confusing hard drive space with memory? Having less than 2GB of hard drive space available on the C:\ drive / partition with today's hard drive sizes seems unlikely unless this is a very old computer or the hard drive has been partitioned.

4. Nyney

Nyney Thread Starter

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The system partition is simply not adequate. Windows XP is probably using more than half that, and programs are either installing to C:\ by default or at least storing some data there. I'm not surprised it's chronically low on space. I highly doubt the problem is virus related. It's just a matter of not enough space. System Restore is a more likely cause.

You can use a program like TreeSize to see specifically what folders are consuming space. The overall size of the hard drive is pretty small by today's standards, so if you have a lot of data and programs I would recommend an upgrade. At the very least, use just one partition with a drive that size.

6. Nyney

Nyney Thread Starter

Oh, I see.

That makes a lot of sense.

Is there any way I can blend the two partitions into one? And also, what would getting an upgrade mean?

7. techshan

techshan

Sorry for that! I have posted in a new thread!

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

By upgrade I mean a new hard drive. But if you have plenty of space on the D:\ partition, you may not need a new drive.

There are utilities that may be used to merge the partitions, but there is a risk in doing so. You should make a full backup of your system before attempting that type of change. Also, did you make any changes to redirect system folders to D:\ or did you install programs to D:\? If so, merging the partitions can cause all sorts of problems, and a reinstall would be a better option.

EASEUS Partition Master
    GParted

9. Nyney

Nyney Thread Starter

Thank you very much, this has indeed helped me.

Best wishes and happy holiday ^_^

~ Kitty

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/886617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice