1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Somethings gone wrong

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by -MaDcOw-, Nov 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. -MaDcOw-

-MaDcOw- Thread Starter

I installed Apache and PHP cause I thought thats how you can load PHP pages from your comp but it didn't work.

So I uninstalled Apache and then PHP and it wanted me to restart my comp so I did.

Then when Windows loads it has this wallpaper with some stuff about active desktop which I didnt have any active desktop things. :confused:

And I did a Spybot S&D scan and it came up with heaps of missing shared DLLs.

Can anyone enlighten me on whats going on?

2. Sponsor

3. ptvGuy

ptvGuy

When you uninstalled everything, a screen should have popped up and warned you about shared files and asked you if you were sure you wanted to uninstall those components. It probably said that it didn't detect anything using those components right then. (In fact, there probably wasn't anything using them at that particular moment.) However, if you told it to uninstall them, then they're gone. (I know this from personal experience.) You might want to try running a system restore from a registry backup date prior to installing Apache and PHP.

4. -MaDcOw-

-MaDcOw- Thread Starter

I'm not that familiar with System restore how would i go about doing this?

5. -MaDcOw-

-MaDcOw- Thread Starter

Actually now that I think about it, it came up with a thing that said "During install you chose to backup shared dlls (or something), Do you want to restore them? And i clicked on yes.

6. ptvGuy

ptvGuy

In Windows XP, the system restore wizard is located under system tools in the accessories. I don't remember offhand how to get to it in earlier versions.

7. -MaDcOw-

-MaDcOw- Thread Starter

I restored to before I installed Apache and it still has the same problems :(

Any other ideas?

8. ptvGuy

ptvGuy

Yikes!!! Not good...not good at all.

Try booting from the original Windows XP CD and choosing the repair option. That should get you most of your missing OS DLLs. If you have Microsoft Office, you can use the repair (or is it Detect & Repair?) option there as well for any of those missing DLLs. Other missing DLLs may require a new install of that software or downloading.

This could turn out to be a long and complicated fix with no easy answers. Sorry 'bout that; it's happened to me too. Hopefully you can avoid having to reinstall everything from scratch. I'm cringing just thinking about it.

Best wishes, good thoughts, and whatever helpful cosmic waves I can send your direction.

9. -MaDcOw-

-MaDcOw- Thread Starter

2 problems

1. My comp never came with a Windows XP CD.

2. Don't have Microsoft Office.

Anything else?

10. ptvGuy

ptvGuy

No recovery CDs either? Very serious.

(1) Try the earliest restore date you can get to for a system restore.

(2) Borrow a friend's XP CD, and try the repair option.

(3) Search for the missing DLLs online. Some places offer these free; some sell them. (This is a very risky option and may open you up to all sorts of viruses, trojans, etc. I really don't recommend this option.)

(4) Break down and go buy a Windows XP CD. It's good to have one anyway.

11. ptvGuy

ptvGuy

Wait, coffee just kicked in and my brain started working...

Check the CAB files on your computer. They should be located under the windows/i386 folder. These should have a lot of the DLLs you need. Afterward, try running a windows update.

BTW, it is possible that your DLLs are still there but just not shared. That would require someone with a lot more OS-specific knowledge than I have. You might try moving this thread over to the Operating System > Windows XP forum for that kind of expert help.

12. -MaDcOw-

-MaDcOw- Thread Starter

Would a XP Professional Disc repair my XP home?

13. Sequal7

Sequal7

Hello -MaDcOw-

No, an XP Pro disk wont help you repair your copy.

Not sure I follow what your problem is:
    Is the problem that your desktop isnt correct or is displayed in the "old version" like windows 98?
    Can you post a picture (screen capture) of it?
    Have you tried posting into the xp forums or asked a moderator to move this to that forum, you will get more help there then here.

If it is active desktop not showing, Have you tried to restore Active Desktop or your desktop settings?

Please elaborate your problems.

14. i hate ram

i hate ram

go into start > run (btw, you need an Xp cd for this)

type CMD

then type sfc /scannow . this will run the system file checker. if it finds a missing DLL or system file it will ask you to insert the cd, and SFC will fix it.

15. Big-K

Big-K

16. -MaDcOw-

-MaDcOw- Thread Starter

Nope that part of the problem has mysteriously gone :confused: But ill post a screenshot of what it used to look like

Attached Files:

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/419839