1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

somethings wrong - and clean installs dont fix it

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mr_lemon, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mr_lemon

mr_lemon Thread Starter

Im feeling a bit hopeless here so any help is appreciated

So i got a new computer, built it with a friends help

xp pro - sp2
    amd athlon 6000+ dual core
    asus m2n-mx se
    2 gigs a-data ram (2 sticks of 1g)
    no gfx card (yet)
    seagate 250gig sata hd
    silverstone 500w psu

Windows installs, everything seems fine etc.
    Then come the problems. Its as if my computer is, for lack of a better word, fragile. I might be playing a game, il tab out, then try to tab back in, and then nothing responds. The mouse works, but cant click anything etc. Task manager doesnt show, start menu wont pop up, things like that. So im forced to restart, and 2/3 times, windows wont start, and i'll be forced to do a clean install.

Sometimes, the windows loading screen wont show, sometimes it loads, but then the logon screen never appears, everythings just remains black. Sometimes i'll get a black screen with white words saying some file is missing etc.

In my experience, pressing the restart button hardly ever causes windows to fail and not start up, but it does for this comp, most of the time.

Did memtest, used seagate tools to test hd, both appear to be fine. Checked temps, they are fine, checked voltages in bios, they are also fine.

Ive reformatted and reinstalled windows at least 6 times now, and i really am feeling quite hopeless. Im scared to do anything that might cause windows to not respond, like play supreme commander.

Advice?

2. zabusant

zabusant

Do you get any yellow question/exclamation marks in device manager?

3. mr_lemon

mr_lemon Thread Starter

Hmm never checked, il have a look as soon as windows is reinstalled (for the 7th time)

4. zabusant

zabusant

Alright, when you find one, write down what it is, right click it and select uninstall.

If you're afraid it's gonna crash - start it in safe mode instead:)

5. zabusant

zabusant

And the next time you can't recover from a crash, try booting to "Last known good configuration" - from the F8 menu.

Also, before you reinstall it for the 25th time, boot from the cd, press r to get to the recovery console and run chkdsk /p (although you used seagate):)

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

In the system specs you said nothing about the power supply, How much watts does it have 250 watts or more actually how many? If the power supply does not have the power for the system the system will suffer.

7. mr_lemon

mr_lemon Thread Starter

Yep tried the last known good configuration, no luck
    Just did chkdsk/p, doing chkdsk /r right now
    Hoping for the best :eek:

Edit: nop, just a black screen after the xp loading screen, reinstall again damnit

500W, should be more than enough

8. zabusant

zabusant

If you ran chkdsk /p already, /r is pretty pointless.;)

9. mr_lemon

mr_lemon Thread Starter

When you're stuck with a lame problem like this on your brand spankin new comp, you tend to get pretty desperate XD

10. zabusant

zabusant

Alright, you've tried Last good config, but can you boot to safe mode?

Also, have you checked everything is connected properly, reseated the RAM, and so on?

11. mr_lemon

mr_lemon Thread Starter

Tried safe mode, after loading a lot of files, the computer restarts

Also reconnected hd/ram

Just while im waiting for the reinstall, thought i'd post this up

[​IMG]
    I took this before my latest crash. I dont know much about psu's, but people have been saying that the voltage is too high or something. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

12. zabusant

zabusant

When you say reinstall - are you formatting and installing or are you doing a "repair install"?

13. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    How is Sata set up in the Bios ?

Try setting 'Onboard Sata controller' to Enabled and 'Onboard Sata type' to 'IDE Controller'

On my Asus mobo these are under Advanced > Onboard Device Configuration > South OnChip PCI Device > Onboard Sata type, but it's a different board than yours.

14. mr_lemon

mr_lemon Thread Starter

Reformatting the drive (using NTFS), and doing a clean install.

Thanks will try that soon as install done

15. mr_lemon

mr_lemon Thread Starter

Reinstalled and hey what do you know, theres an unknown device in device manager, uninstalling now. Is it actually possible that this is the cause of all my problems?

Sorry cant find either

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/664073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice